Chapter 2

I was literally beaming out of pride.

During the whole show — I did nothing but clap and cheer along the crowd. I've never been so hyped about a school musical before.

Well, given the fact that this wasn't Ariana's first play, this was the first time I was seeing it in a whole new light.

Yep — I was fucking in love with my best friend, sue me.

Yes, I know I'm just almost sixteen... and I know it's basically a crime to fall in love with your best friend — it's like betrayal number 1, but I couldn't really help it.

Believe me, I was shocked too. I thought I was getting some heart palpitations whenever she was near — well, before I realized my feelings.

I was on the verge of a breakdown, I almost went to the hospital to get my damn heart checked. I even Googled what tests needed to be done. Yes — I was already in that level of shock.

I was almost a year older than Ariana. I knew that I had to contain whatever I was feeling because one, we're too young. Two, she's my best friend, for fuck's sake... and three, I don't think she feels the same way about me.

And no, I wasn't about to risk years of friendship just to 'test the waters and see where it goes'. I love Ariana, not just romantically, but I love her as my friend too.

If I had to be friendzoned all my life... I'd rather stay like that than to lose her.

"Ari's really good, huh?" I heard my dad mumble beside me. My hands were sore from clapping so hard, as if she'd hear the difference of my clap from the crowd.

When I looked at him, he's got a smirk going on while side eyeing me. He was looking at me playfully.

I just rolled my eyes at him. Yeah — he definitely knows. He was the first one to know actually since he saw me staring at the ceiling once I realized that I was in love with my 14 year old best friend.

"What do you expect, pops? She's been practicing for months. She's really good." I proudly countered.

He placed his arm around my shoulders and whispered "You look like a proud girlfriend, Charlie — tone it down a bit."

After he said that he chuckled earning a glare from me. My eyes darted away from him when I heard Joan call Ari as she got off from the backstage.

Ariana saw her mom and hopped towards where we were standing. She had changed from her constume and now wearing her regular clothes.

For a fourteen year old, she was pulling off that mini skirt and ruffled off-shoulder top. So simple, yet — she was so beautiful. Damn... I have it bad.

Her face was full of happiness, She was vibing and definitely blooming. After hugging everyone, she turned to me, giving me her signature grin.

"Sooo?" She dragged, her smile getting wider.

I scoffed, not giving her any signs of how proud and amazed I was from her performance.

"Eh" I shrugged, trying to be as nonchalant as I could be. I looked away, seeing as she was already pouting from my teasing.

Don't, Charlie — be strong.

"What do you think?" Ari asked before closing into the space between us.

She circled her arms around my waist, instantly warming my body. Jesus Christ. I could literally feel the blood flow from my ears, to my cheeks, and my neck, all going south.

I know for sure, I look like a tomato now. She'll most likely never let me hear the end of it. Ari has always been touchy, and flirty — but I knew that she was just teasing, she never meant anything by it.