Chapter 5

"Baby, look at this -- this is the script for my role in Victorious!" Ariana enthusiastically showed me as we talked over video call on Skype.

I just beamed at her as I listened to all of her stories. It's been over 5 months since they moved to LA. She got casted to a play while waiting for her call back for the TV show. She told me all about it since we talked every night.

She told me that she met new friends. She always talked about them whenever she called, then we exchanged stories about our days.

"That's so cool, Ari. At least you're doing something exciting on your break. Have you done all of your school works though?" I asked her as I flipped through my notes making sure I didn't miss a single sentence.

I was proof reading my essay that was due tomorrow. Exams were closing in and I still need to review -- fuck -- I almost forgot to tell Ari that I'll be a bit busy this coming week. On top of that, I need to babysit Courtney. She was actually my mom's friend's daughter who was a bit younger.

She was close to Ari when she was still here. They always came over to her house, while Ari practically raised the kid like her disciple. Imagine, Courtney acting like Ariana when she was not even a teenager yet.

Anyway, the last time I saw the kid was when we went to New York for Ari's show last month. The Broadway Musical "13" was sure hit -- making people notice Ariana more. She was in the limelight and she was basking in the glory of the attention she was getting.

I saw her shining through, and the whole show, I couldn't help but watch proudly. She actually introduced me to Liz, one of the first few friends she met when they moved.

However, it left a bitter taste in my mouth when she told her friends that I was her best friend back in Florida.

She didn't even realize she said that... I was actually waiting for an explanation but nothing came in. Mom and Joan was very supportive of our arrangement -- they didn't miss the scorching kiss she gave me before they left so, yeah -- they pretty much figured it out.

While my dad finally gave me the "Talk" -- he awkwardly explained things to me and tried to act cool the whole time. He said that he didn't want to see the both of us get trapped in a situation that we were not ready for. Especially, we have solid plans for our future.

Law school for me, while for Ari -- Hollywood.

Frankie was a bit upset with Ariana. He said and quote "Ariana confused the hell out of you, I hate that she was so indecisive about this. you were hurting, Charlie." Nevertheless, I talked to him over the phone and explained my side as well.

Fortunately, he understood -- we were teenagers after all.

"Yeah -- I got them stashed somewhere here. I finished before the final rehearsal for the last show. Which got me thinking... maybe I can visit you there and watch your game after." She looked really happy right now.

Her dimpled smile was affecting my heart so much, it made me skip several beats. Honestly, will this always feel like... euphoric?

"That'll be nice... don't expect much though. You might come here for nothing, my coach might decide to bench me the whole game." I wasn't bad at basketball, but I wasn't that great either.

I was accepted to the team because they were short of extra players -- I don't really play as a key part of the game... Though my teammates actually disagreed to this when I told them my thoughts before.

Ariana frowned at me. "What are you talking about? You're a good player, babe. Why do you always downplay your skills -- Aside from being ridiculously smart and good in bed, you're actually good in sports. Is everybody giving you a hard time in school again?"