Chapter 6

Ariana

I never thought that watching people shoot and dribble the goddamned ball could be this nerve-wracking.

The week was almost over and I had to go back to LA for the show. I'm glad to get to visit before everything got a bit more hectic.

Charlie said that there was a possibility that she wouldn't play this game — but her coach apparently had other ideas. During the second quarter, she was pretty much chucked into the court, replacing one of the injured players.

She never left the court after that. From my point of view — she was absolutely killing it. Shot after shot, even under pressure, my Charlie thrived. I couldn't be more proud of her.

Being new to the team sucks, I would know... but it looked like everyone got along and they were actually working together. Now, I might not know the ins and outs of this game, but I sure as hell know that they're winning the game.

A light tap on my shoulder distracted me from watching Charlie dribble across the half court. I was a bit annoyed with the interruption to the point that I was about to snap on whoever it was.

"Ari, you're back!" A deep masculine voice I knew so well exclaimed.

My eyes traveled from the chest of the person to his face. It was Brett — shit.

My breath hitch as our eyes met. Still as charming as ever... his boyish smile and that boy-next-door look, it wasn't a surprise that I was attracted to him.

Yep, keyword — was.

We had a thing going on shortly before I left for LA. But I ended it right away after I talked to Frankie and got some clarity about my feelings for Charlie.

"Um... hey. Just watching Charlie's game. I'm going back to LA on Sunday." I said, giving him a small smile.

I might or might not have told him that I don't want to continue trying to get to know him because I was moving to another state.

I didn't clearly tell him that I have been harboring feelings and was totally in love with my best friend.

"Still friends with the freak-show, I see." Did I tell you that he's a douchebag?

Damn — I never heard him bad mouth Charlie before. I mean, when we were talking, he never mentioned any dislike on my best friend and he didn't spit insults... I genuinely thought he was a nice guy.

Apparently, it was all for show. What a dumb fuck.

"Excuse me?" I raised my voice a little, earning glances from people around us. I honestly don't give a damn though. Nobody, I mean — nobody can call Charlie names when I'm around.

"If you're here to insult my best friend, you better get the hell away from me. Get lost."

I was firm about this. Hating on Charlie, even before we got together was a deal breaker for me. Whether it be for friendships or relationships.

Brett scoffed at me and shoved the kid beside me rather harshly making him stumble a little.

Fucking bully. I dodged a bullet I guess.

"Ariana, how are you?" I heard a girl from behind me. It was Kimberly, one of our good friends from our Freshman year. We met her when she transferred and ever since, she was one of the few people who were nice to Charlie so I liked her.

I gasped and hugged her. "I'm good! It's so nice to see you again. How are you?"

I asked her to sit on the empty seat beside me. She put her bag down and looked at the scoreboard. Her smirk didn't come unnoticed though.