Chapter 6

I'm sitting at the Gryffindor table with Hermione, Ron, and Harry. I tried to convince Draco to sit with me, but he didn't want to. I wanted to because last night went really well at the astronomy tower, we all sort of clicked.

Harry is staring at a ravenclaw girl named Cho. When she looks at him he spills his drink right out of his mouth. We all laugh at him.

I'm reading the newspaper. "I can't believe it! She's done it again, put nothing but lies in her paper. Ms. Potter seems to be devoloping a taste for rich and wealthy wizards. As her current toy she likes to play with is none other than the infamous Draco Malfoy." But everyone ignores me as I continue to read to myself.

A young boy walks up holding a package.

"Parcel for you Mr. Weasley." The young boy says.

"Thanks Nigel." Ron says, taking the package. Nigel is staring at me.

"Not now Nigel, later. Go on!" Ron says.

"I told him I'd get him your autograph" he says to me. "Oh look, mums sent me something. Mum sent me a dress?" He says in disgust.

"Well it does match your eyes. Is there a bonnet?" Harry asks excitedly.

"Ginny, these must be for you." He says showing Ginny.

"I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." She says.

Me and Hermione laugh.

"What are you two on about?" Ron asks as he looks at us.

"They're not for Ginny." I say.

"They're for you! Dress robes!" Hermione finishes for me.

"Dress robes for what?" Ron asks.

Me and Hermione continue laughing.

~*~

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost . . . a dance." McGonagall announces.

Groans emerge from the boys who are listening on. The girls seem much more excited.

"Silence! Hogwarts has commanded respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling, band of baboons." McGonagall says.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan lumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight." She says.

Ron whispers something to Seamus that McGonagall must've heard because the next thing she says is,

"Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley, will you join me?"

She grabs Ron and pulls him up to dance.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist." She says.

"Where?" Ron asks, clearly uncomfortable with the situation.

"My waist." She repeats.

He does so and a wolf whistle comes from the crowd. I look over to see how it was obiously Draco.

"Now bend your arm. Mr. Filch?"

The music starts.

"One two three, one two three, one two three."

They dance for a minute more until McGonagall says, "Everybody come together."

The girls all instantly stand and walk forward, I stay seated. The boys are also all still seated.

"Boys, on your feet!" McGonagall snaps at them.

They all stand expect for Draco. Clearly both of us think this whole dancing thing is stupid. If I'm going to this ball it's to have fun, I don't have lots of interest in dancing. Maybe one dance, but that would be it.

"Ms. Potter, Mr. Malfoy. This is not optional. Stand up and come together."

Oh Merlin, I stand up as does Draco. We join together connecting our bodies. His hand on my waist, my hand on his shoulder. Dancing around in circles. As far as I could tell, we were the best in the class.

~*~

*Dravo pov*

I'm walking with Potter and Weasley. We have gotten closer thanks to Mia. But I wouldn't call them friends just yet.

"Why do they have to travel in, packs?" I ask them. "And how are you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"

We pass a group of Slytherin girls. Mia standing in the center laughing. I can't help but stare at her.

"Blimey Malfoy, are you thinking of asking someone to the ball?" Ron asks turning to me.

"I- uh- well, I dont know yet." I answer. That was the first time I had ever stuttered, I always wondered what it felt like. It was horrible.

"Wow, Malfoy. So, who's the lucky girl?" Harry asks.

I look back at the group of Slytherin girls and I lock eyes with Mia.

"Would you kill me if I said it was your sister?" I ask not even thinking. Once I realize what I said I immediately look back at them. "I mean, it's not. I'm just joking." I start laughing awkwardly.

"Are you okay? You've never acted like this." Ron says.

"Yeah, if Mia can make you stutter and forget what your saying, she must really have you wrapped around her finger, aye?" Harry asks. "And in case you were still wondering, I dont care if you take her to the ball. And I actually think she'll say yes."

"Really? Why?" I ask eagerly.

"What do you mean why? She never stops talking about you!" Ron spits out.

"Oh, I didn't know." I say as I feel my face getting red. "I'm gonna go, study" I say, I turn to go to the common room, and once I get there I lay down on the couch. Am I actually going to ask Mia to go to the ball with me? I always could, and the worst thing she could say is no. Which isn't a big deal, we'll still be friends, right? Oh Merlin, what if this ruins our friendship? I shouldn't ask her. But what if it doesn't, what if she says yes? Oh goodness, I don't know what to do! Why is this so difficult?

The potrait door swings open as Mia stumbles in.

"Hey, Draco." She says as if she's going to ask me something.

"Hey." I say. She sits down on the couch next to me and asks me a question.

"Is there something wrong with me?" She says. I look at her confused.

"What? No! Why would you think that?" I ask, panicking slightly.

"It's just, I don't know. I mean, like, am I pretty?" She asks, with a sad look on her face.

"Mia? Of course you are, your beautiful. Is something wrong?" I ask.

She turns to me, "You, think I'm beautiful?" She asks.

"Uh, I mean, um, yeah, I-I guess. I- I don't know." I say competely flustered.

She just laughs slightly. "Thanks."

There's a long pause.

"Hey, Mia."

"Yeah?"

"Would you - uh - Would you want to go to, the yule ball? With me?" I ask nervously.

Her smile gets even bigger. "Oh my gosh! Yes! Of course!" She says as she wraps her arms around my neck. I hug her back. I'm so glad I worked up the courage to ask her. Oh my god, I had to work up courage? Who am I?