Chapter 8

"And then he tried to tell me that Viktor was using me!" Hermione tells me.

"What?" I ask in disbelief.

"Then, I told him I could take care of myself and he said 'doubt it. He's way too old!' Then I asked him if that was really what he thought and he said 'yeah, that is what I think.'" She says looking at me.

"Oh my god. Then what?" I ask her.

"Then I said 'Well, you know the solution then don't you?' And he just told me to go on. So I explained it to him. 'Next time there's a ball pluck up the courage to ask me before somebody else does. And not as a last resort!' And he had the nerve to tell me that it was completely off the point!" She says.

"What? If he was so concerned with who you were going with, he should've asked you himself!" I say back to her.

"I know! That's what I tried to tell him!"

"I can't believe the nerve of him."

~*~

"Mia! Viktor figured the egg out two weeks ago! The task is two days away now!" Hermione says to me.

"Really? I had no idea!" I say sarcastically. "Did Viktor tell you what it meant?" I ask now eager.

"No. He didn't want to." She says disappointed.

"Oh, I'm sorry mione."

"It's fine. You are trying to figure out this egg though, aren't you?" She asks.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask her.

"I mean these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And um, I'm scared for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve. I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time." Hermione tells me worriedly.

"Hey, Potter!" I hear a familiar voice call out. I walk over to him.

"Cedric?" I ask.

"How are you?" He asks.

"Spectacular." I say sarcastically.

"Look, I realize I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons." He says.

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would've done the same for me." I say.

"Exactly. You know the prefects bathrooms on the fifth floor?" He asks

I nod.

"Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water." He says.

I look at him weird. He smiles and walks away.

~*~

I walk into the girls prefect bathroom, that nobody uses anymore, and change into a bathing suit. I get into the bath with my golden egg on my side.

"I must be out of my mind." I say to myself.

I open the egg and the same loud screech comes out. I quickly shut it once again.

"I'm definitely out of my mind." I say to myself again.

"I'd try putting it in the water, if I were you." A voice says. I look around to meet the eyes of, a ghost?

"Hello? Who are you?" I ask.

"Myrtle."

"Well, hello. Um, did you say put it in the water?" I ask her.

"Well. That's what he did. The boy, the handsome one, Cedric." She says.

I take the egg and put it underwater.