22 - Standing Eclipse

"'What am I fighting for?' "

Deep explosions ring faintly in the distance.

"'It's not like I haven't thought about this before.' "

Shouts and war cries scream gently in the background. So does the crackling of burning embers.

"'Kotori, Yoshino, Yuzuru, Kaguya, Tohka, Laura... I'm fighting to protect them, to save them.' "

The strong stench of iron bleaches his nose. It was blood.

"'But am I just a human?' "

One's last gasp of life escapes silently beside him.

"'I am!... I think...' "

He feels his right-hand grip the hilt of a blade.

"'I'm not sure what's happening, but I won't ever give up saving them—no matter what!' "

He holds its weight over his shoulder, preparing a swing with determination.

"This is why I fight! Sandalphon!"

The throne rises.

"Keter Adom!"

The crown manifests, itself festering with erratic eye movements.

The sword was pulled out of the throne. The sword was used to destroy the throne.

"These powers, these Angels! Keter-san, you used dreams to teach me how to use them. Those nightmares, I was beginning to think you caused them. But—!"

He raised Sandalphon, debris from the throne revolving around it like a planet to the sun.

"I have the power, now! I have their power! I won't let it go to waste. So please!"

The purist does a downward slash.

"Let there be a happy ending in the end!"

In the beginning, there was heaven and the earth. There was a formless mass of desolation and darkness upon the surface and the deep.

The crown halts. It ushers.

"Let there be light."

Then there was light. After Shido saw that the light was good, the crown began to divide the darkness from the light. Once, he dabbled with the darkness, danced with Lady Death—now he drinks from the fountain and sanctifies himself. When there is the night of the moon, the sun is brilliant.

"This is..."

Dressed in the cleanest of fleece and the purest of garbs, he enters the light. Cardinal red thickens between the whites down. 

However the moon abates the radiance, the sun shines still—too bright. A black veil wraps around him, soothing the vision. There is comfort in the veil that hides his face.

A brief blindness, and then he escapes the darkness of oblivion. 

-/-

"'Sleepy sleeping. I'm not fully, conscious, I think, at least. I can think, somewhat. Good thing I can't feel alone. I'm used to that already!' "

"'Ha ha ha ha.' "

"'Aha ha...' "

A realization came to me.

"'The reason I'm able to think now is... Is it because I'll come out soon?' "

BLAAAAAAARE!!!