Chapter 6: Quite The Charmer

The DMV Office, Northbound, Keedon, Georgia.....(1992)

      The air in the office had been significantly cooler than the air outside as Whitmore found himself venturing toward the front desk with his father who had been looking around for a means of getting up front and talking to his usual girl, Ruby Rose Thorton. She'd been a rather heavy-set girl with curly dark brown hair and thick horn-framed glasses that she kept around her ears by way of a pink string so as not to lose them. She wore a rather fetching yellow sun dress with white print flowers had her nails done in light pink and wore gold bracelets and a necklace with a sunflower shape.

Like most of the women in town who hadn't been old enough to remember J.W. in diapers, Ruby had a long-standing crush on him. He'd even managed to turn a few heads on the young girls given his local celebrity status. Whitmore found it to be a hindrance more so than a good thing when left to his own devices as he had not been as iconic or universally liked as his father had been.

When he'd been with his father, it had been amazing to watch people fawn all over him, and Ruby Rose had been no exception. Or at least she wasn't until she took one look at J.W. Talton and narrowed her eyes. He didn't need to be told that she heard the rumors of his apparent romp with the young Becca in the barn but he'd been very much in the process of explaining that the rumors were just that as he approached the front desk.

"You'll have to wait in line," said Ruby still with her eyes narrowed at J.W.

"Since when?" asked J.W. with an arched brow.

"Since word's been going around that you were held up with that tart Becca," replied Ruby Rose still narrowing her eyes at J.W.

"That's just a nasty rumor Darlin'," replied J.W. annoyed. "I wasn't and I ain't interested in the likes of little girls when I got a full-grown woman at home."

Ruby Rose looked at him for a moment. He'd been just as handsome and charming as ever.

"I can't see why you'd want to trade your wife in for a wanton little girl given how close you two are," she said with a sigh.

"See darlin' I ain't as stupid as everyone thinks I am in that regard," J.W. remarked. "Now I may flirt from time to time with pretty young things like you but little girls like Becca don't interest me, I prefer my women to be the age of a woman and all that, besides, if I ever did consider having an affair darlin' you'd be the one I look up first."

Whitmore smirked in the background trying not to choke on his laughter at his father's words. He had been known to lay it on a bit thick when it came to getting what he wanted, even when he'd been coaxing something from his wife, but this was almost too much to not want to stand in a long line.

She looked him over before biting her bottom lip given to his brand of charm.

"Well...what's in it for me if I did grant you this favor of sorts?" she asked with an arched brow.

"You know the rules darlin' you can look but you can't touch," replied J.W. speaking in apparent code for his son's benefit.

He didn't have to wait long before Ruby Rose did a bit of considering before inviting J.W. back into the office and closing the door behind him. Whitmore had paced a bit before his father came back from the office with his newly stamped and up-to-date driving permit.

Ruby had something of a pleasant smile on her face as she ventured back to her seat and her lustful gaze fell upon J.W.'s retreating form as he and Whitmore headed for the door. The lad stepped out first as J.W. made a show of adjusting his crotch in Ruby Rose's line of sight. She fanned herself before getting back to the line that had formed while she'd been talking to J.W.

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

The Parking Lot, DMV Building, Keedon, Georgia (1992)...

Whitmore had been the first to climb into the truck as he wondered just how his father had secured the permit so fast and updated it. J.W. filed into the truck as well and turned his attention to starting the engine after he and Whitmore had been buckled in. He didn't look particularly pleased as he sat back against the seat and handed the permit to his son.

"Never let it be said that I didn't do nothin' for you boy," he said as he turned the wheel and pulled the truck out of the parking lot and back onto the long dirt road.

Whitmore shook his head getting an idea as to what had gone down behind the closed office doors. J.W. focused on the road and the sound of the random song playing on the radio as he tried to push back the recollection of having dropped his trousers to show off his impressive equipment to the rather lustful woman at the DMV. She knew the rules of course and had been perfectly content to fantasize about J.W. in her dreams and waking hours just like every other woman that wanted him, but she knew he'd only ever wanted his wife.

Ruby Rose had been content with her fantasies as she had a good deal of respect for Wilma Jean despite her jealousy that he'd chosen her in the end. While she could share J.W. with his wife, she wasn't in the business of sharing him with any other woman or young hussy that came along.

Whitmore shook his head as he put away his permit and turned his attention toward looking out the window noticing that it was already dusk and wondering if his mother had already gotten started on diner. His stomach growled and he and J.W. both laughed before the truck turned down the familiar dirt path leading through the pasture and back to their house.

J.W. had hoped his mother had gone home once the sun went down, as he had no time to explain to her what happened in the barn and he'd been much too tired and hungry to put up a fight when she came at him with her broom.