Chapter 13: A Heartless Kind Of Love

Unknown Location, Baltiney, New York...(1992)

     Thick clouds of ominous grey looked over the rather bustling town of Baltiney, New York as a lone black four-door sedan waited parked across the street from a rather large and expensive hotel building in the downtown district. The rapid pace of the windshield wipers echoed through the pricey rectangular car as a lone man clad in a sloppy dark suit sat with his unkempt raven locks slick from the rain and sweat from his earlier efforts to follow the rather unseemly couple that had exited a less than impressive brown Buick and tossed the vale the keys.

The lone man has something of a furious and rather hurt expression filed across his distinctively handsome face despite the presence of a five o'clock shadow that nearly hid his formerly smooth and semi-dark tanned face. His chaotic dark eyes seemed to blaze at the instant he'd taken notice of the rather cozy-looking couple consisting of a young man towering in height and a woman nearing middle age wearing a stylish dark blue dress with elegant black mink draped over her arms and shoulders beneath the large blue umbrella the younger man had been holding.

Both appeared to have been inebriated and enjoying each other's company. The lone man gripped the steering wheel hard enough to flex his knuckles. He glared out the windshield amid the fog of his harsh breaths as he watched the couple go inside the front doors of the pricey hotel. He'd only been seconds from opening the door when he found himself joined by a lone figure standing out in the rain wearing a damp suit with a roll of newspaper held above his head.

The angry man in the dark suit rolled down the window as his eyes met those of the thin pale man before him who had been trying his best to endure the cold wind and rain as it beat down on him soaking every article of clothing he had on including going into his rather nice black loafers.

"Which room?" asked the angry man inside the car.

"I don't think you should be going in by yourself." said the wet younger man trying his hand at reasoning with the angry man.

"I didn't ask you what you think, Simon I asked you which room." growled the angry man narrowing his dark chaotic eyes at the pleasant-looking younger rain-soaked man who appeared to have been his subordinate.

"Y-Yes sir." replied the rain-soaked younger man known as Simon. "As you say, Mr. Windward, they're in room 204 I think it's a suite of some sort."

The angry man in the car suddenly opened the door to the car and stepped out into the rain. His chaotic dark eyes blazed with fury as he moved to take a step toward the rather impressive hotel. His golden wedding band was a bit visible on his ring finger as he wiped the water that trickled along his face. He was incensed, to say the least, as he stepped rather briskly away from the car and his concerned assistant of sorts and made his way toward the hotel.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The Lobby, The Carmine Hotel, 21st and Harrow Street, Baltiney, New York...

The heavy glass doors had moved rather easily for the lone man soaked from the rain as he moved along the bright red carpet of the front lobby of the elegant hotel. He had looked to have been quite a sight as he moved his rain-soaked body and dripping suit toward the row of stairs that led to where the older woman and young man had gone. He had expected someone to try and stop him, and given his mood, he wasn't of the mind to quell his ever-blazing temper. Not this time, not when his horrid and materialistic wife of twenty years had been actively cheating on him with her latest boy toy as if it had been a sporting event.

"Sir you can't be in here unless you're going to pay for a room." said one of the bellhops approaching the enraged man in the soggy dark suit.

He'd been soaked from head to toe but he was not going to be denied. He had seen his wife and the young punk come into this hotel, possibly on his dime of course and he wasn't going to leave until they were confronted.

"I already have a room," growled Mr. Windward. "Room 204, my wife's already gone up."

The bellhop stepped back and apologized for accosting a paying customer. He had never seen a rich person look so disheveled and soaked from the rain. While it was strange that he didn't look as if he'd been a man of wealthy means given the price of the room, the bellhop didn't want any trouble with the other members of the staff and let him pass.

The trek up the stairs had not been something Mr. Windward had thought of as he rushed up determined and driven by the rage that burned deep within his chest. He had been fed up with the humiliation and the blatant disrespect from his wife and whoever her latest lover had been. He'd grown tired of footing the bill for her romps in expensive places and what had been worse, they had somewhere to be in a few hours.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Room 204, The Carmine Hotel, 21st and Harrow Street, Baltiney, New York...

Mr. Windward finally reached the corridor and the door to the room his assistant had given him that had been where his wife was with her newest young lover. He knocked on the door, still dripping from the rain and enraged from knowing all too well what had been going on behind the closed door. The door opened swiftly with a young man with messy blond hair green eyes and lean muscles exposed due to being stripped down to his boxer shorts glaring at the man whose wife he'd led to this place.

Without a word, Mr. Windward drew back and promptly punched the blond-haired imp in the face causing the lad to fall backward as he pushed his way into the door and noted his half-naked wife in the center of the bed.

She was a lovely woman, nearing middle age, but looking relatively young and beautiful as she did her best to cover her rather sizeable breasts from the view of her enraged husband. She wasn't wearing her wedding ring nor the engagement diamond he'd given her as her long brown hair in neat curls had been draped over her bare shoulders as she kneeled in the center of the large bed they were occupying only briefly before the knock had startled them.

"SILAS WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" she shouted enraged in her own right. "YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT!"

"Get dressed," growled Silas his dark eyes flashing every bit of the malice he'd been capable of in the wake of her latest folly in trying to go behind his back.

Mrs. Windward had opened her mouth to protest only to see the rage behind her husband's gaze and she began to get dressed. She muttered to herself the entire time as if that had any significance when it came to her husband's brand of temper and her being exposed for infidelity.

"Neanderthal." she hissed in a huff.

Mr. Windward ignored her his rage getting the better of him as his skin remained hot from his brand of temper and his eyes darted from his wife getting dressed back to the downed blond lad whom she'd brought here to betray him with.

"Get a move on, the party starts in an hour," he growled as he stormed out of the room stepping over the blond lad with a good deal of contempt filed across his rain-slick face.

He had somewhere to be and he wasn't in the least going to be late due to his whorish wife's antics. His eyes grew cold as he waited for her to come out of the hotel room fully dressed and ready to leave the place. Mrs. Windward didn't bother to say a word as the cold silence passed between them amid brisk steps that led them both down the long winding corridor and the stairs toward the exit. The rather stunned Simon had not said a word when they both filed out of the hotel and came toward him. The hatred between them seemed almost palpable amid the cold silence as they filed into the rather expensive car and Simon proceeded to slide into the driver's seat.

He had been privy to quite a few exchanges between Mr. and Mrs. Windward like this one and he always seemed to be puzzled as to how tragic their situation seemed to be. In public, they were the perfect family when it came to events and outings that required a personal touch to win over investors and their so-called friends but in reality, they had been the victims of a heartless kind of love that had not truly been any love at all and to Simon, that was no real way to live.