Chapter 7: A Good Round Of Family Bounding

The Living Room, West Pasture, The Talton Residence, Keedon, Georgia.....(1992)

    Wilma Jean Talton paced the living room floor after having finished cooking dinner ten minutes prior as she awaited the arrival of her husband's truck once he returned to the house with their only son. She'd gotten a kick out of watching her mother-in-law go after her husband for his antics but she worried about them being out so late. The bright lights of J.W.'s blue pickup truck had been flashing through the drapes of the living room as Wilma Jean smirked and made for the front door. Whitmore had been the first to climb out of the truck with his renewed permit in hand. He ventured toward the front porch greeting his mother with a kiss on the cheek before filing inside the house with his backpack draped over his shoulders.

"How was school?" asked Wilma Jean greeting him.

"You know boring as usual," replied Whitmore making his way past her.

"Go wash up for dinner and you better get your homework done after," called Wilma Jean behind him.

"Will do Mom," replied Whitmore rushing up the stairs toward his bedroom eager to be rid of his backpack and wash up for dinner.

Wilma Jean turned her attention to a tired-looking J.W. who had finally made it onto the front porch. She'd been about to turn and walk inside when he took her by the hand and pulled her close to him causing her to giggle outright.

"Where's my kiss woman?" he asked sounding a bit jealous about Whitmore getting a kiss and not him once they returned.

"I don't know maybe Becca's got one for you." she teased prompting him to roll his eyes in annoyance before pulling her into his heated kiss.

"You're so mean to me Wilma Jean," he remarked when they pulled apart. "Good thing I like that."

Wilma Jean noted the heat behind his dark eyes as she smirked knowing all too well that they wouldn't be getting much sleep once dinner had been over. She led her husband by the hand and into the house as the aroma from the meal she prepared hit them and he whistled in delight at both the food and the view of her backside as she led him through the living room.

"Good enough to eat," remarked J.W. with lustful eyes as he continued to move through the house and toward the kitchen with her leading him by the hand.

"You're mother's right you are a horndog," she said smirking as he gave her a bit of a wolf whistle.

J.W. stopped her in her tracks and pulled her close to him. She bit back a low moan when she felt her body pressed against his.

"Kinda hard not to be with a gorgeous woman like you leading me by the hand," he replied in his defense. "You always got my blood boiling woman one way or another."

Wilma Jean smirked before continuing to lead him toward the kitchen where she got him to set the table as she ventured over to the food. It was a casual setup, with a large dark wood finish blue placemats, and heavily polished silverware. J.W. got the plates out of the cabinet, some glass set with a few pink flower prints that caught her eye in a local shop once. He had found her sense of style to be quite impressive as he watched her move about the table setting up the drinkware and the silverware respectively.

"I got this woman, you go get the food," he said with a smirk of his own as Wilma Jean narrowed her eyes at him once she finished placing everything she had in her hands on the table.

J.W. could tell by the aroma coming from the kitchen that she'd made lasagna for the night, an obvious choice to annoy him as he'd favored fried chicken and the works. Of course, the joke was on her as J.W. had already been looking forward to getting to the desert.

Whitmore came downstairs cleaned up and ready for dinner as his mother had instructed him to. He was in a particularly pleasant mood as he took his seat at the table with J.W. seated as head of the table with Wilma Jean in her usual seat on the other end.

The lad couldn't have been happier with having a full house this time around after the long six months of being separated from his father who proved to be his usual charismatic and charming self when bantering with Whitmore's mother. She seemed to be glowing as she laughed at the jokes she deemed lame coming from her husband and they ate the rather excellent meal she'd taken time to prepare desire doing so without knowing about her husband's impending arrival. He had not been much of a fan of lasagna but ate it anyway along with a series of breadsticks given his appetite. He hadn't had a homecooked meal in six months after all and even this was heaven compared to the lackluster packaged food and cafeteria meals he had on the rig.

As with tradition in the Talton household, once the meal was over, Whitmore took out the trash, and J.W. elected to do the dishes while Wilma Jean got more comfortable she'd done all the cooking after all. Feeling every bit as exhausted as she began to look, she took a long hot shower and got into her nightgown. J.W. had been right behind her after locking up the house and taking a shower as she climbed into bed.

As she laid back against the soft plush pillows that lined their bed, she was pleased to have him home again despite still wanting to wring his neck from time to time.

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

The Master Bedroom, The Talton Residence, West Pasture, Keedon, Georgia (1992)

Wilma Jean had been briefly startled awake when J.W. came climbing into bed. His dark eyes took in the sight of his lovely wife in the dim moonlight. She was as beautiful as he'd remembered all those long nights he'd lay awake in his bunk while on the rig. She reached up and stroked his dark tanned cheek noting he'd taken the time to shave leaving his face a bit wet and smooth to the touch. He closed his eyes basking in her soft touch and appeared all the more grateful for it as he leaned down and captured her lips in a slow kiss. She returned it and he saw his way to lying beside her amid the pillows and soft covers.

The two of them drifted off with Wilma Jean scooting into his waiting arms and him wrapping them around her as she pressed her back into his chest She took note of him wearing his pajama bottoms and a white men's tank top shirt as she got comfortable against him as he rested his hand on her hip and closed his eyes.

It was always the small simple moments like this with J. W. that made her fall all the more in love with him and him with her all over again.