4 - Connection Boy & Mystery Girl

Kaz is back with our coffees by the time I'm exporting the fifth video. Bubbles are floating above my drink's fuming surface. I give Kaz a begging stare as I wrap my fingers around the mug. I really hope she didn't spit in mine.

"She wouldn't dare." Roman's low tone heats my cheek. He sips from his cup, looking straight into Kaz's eyes.

Her long face turns to stone. I'm pretty sure she wants Roman dead right now.

I raise my brows at her. I'm only here to help, bitch. You better not spat in the coffee.

When Roman turns to the screen, Kaz rolls her eyes and gives me a nod. I take her gesture as a signal for clean coffee, take a sip, and—fuck...

This is the meaning of life! Pressed, liquified, and poured into a mug. The coffee rolls around my tongue, coats it with a thick layer of grounded goodness, and jolts my senses—the ones I didn't know even existed—back to life. The smell of rich earth sinks into my soul.

Roman is right. I don't want to drink another coffee ever again. In fact, if I die in this cubicle right now with Roman and this coffee, I'll die as a complete woman.

"Told you," he says.

"Hmm..." is all I can come up with as I open my eyes and find myself lost in the depths of his caramel glance once again.

His chest rises when he draws a deep breath. Then he gulps and whips his gaze back at the screen in front of us. "What are you doing on Friday night?"

The immediacy in his tone lands like a slap on my face. "Nothing," I blurt out.

"Gloria's Terrace at La Vue. Eight o'clock."

"Great." I'm blinking as if blinking faster will smoothen the impact of how real this moment is.

I'm going out on a date. With Mr. Hot Stuff. He asked me out. The man who rocks my soul with a hum asked me out, and I said great—I gasp.

My mind is shooting possibilities faster than bullets right now. Drinking wine with him, slipping my hands into his jacket, and running them above his shirt's soft fabric. Does he have muscles underneath? He seems slender—not that it matters. I want to press my lips against his, but wait... Does he have lips at all? I must kiss him and find out.

A beep from my laptop confirms that the last video's export is complete. My heart sinks a little. At least, I know I'll see Roman again—in two days, at eight.

"All done," I say as I copy everything to Kaz's server.

Roman runs his hand down my arm. "Thank you, Abby. It was a pleasure," he says softly.

I close my eyes and smile at the tingling sensation his touch has left on my skin. "The pleasure is all mine."

Kaz extends an arm into the cubicle and hands me a paper. "Here is the brief for the thirty videos we discussed."

I stare blankly at the instructions and nod as Roman stands up and fixes his jacket.

"Work with her more often," he says to Kaz. "I doubt she'll agree to work full-time, but she's fast and handy."

Yeah, I can be fast and handy. I can be anything Roman wants me to be.

Kaz squeezes past her boss and enters the cubicle while I pack my laptop with a stupid grin on my face. After opening and shutting a drawer in the corner, she gives me a hard-drive. "These are the source files for the global campaign," she explains. "Can you deliver everything in two weeks?"

"Of course."

"Call me if you have any questions."

"Got it," I reply, tucking the hard drive into my bag.