22 - Mine!

As if everyone's been waiting for our cue, couples start flooding the dancefloor. A band starts playing a romantic song with a one, two—a one, two, three, four. Where have I heard this song? In a dream?

I can't help but chuckle when Nate pulls me into his arms, and we begin to sway to the music. My satin dress swirls around my legs like a soft, black cloak, brushing against the floor. This is what princesses must feel like—fancy, mighty and care-free. Nate gives me a twirl, and just as he is about to catch me back, my heels snag on my skirt and I lose my balance.

So much for feeling like a royalty!

I stumble forward, but Nate's grip around my waist tightens and I find myself flush against his body. His warm chest shakes with bouts of laughter. I laugh too, when our eyes meet.

"I suck at slow dancing," I say. "We can sit if you want."

"Nah, you just need a little courage," he whispers in my ear. "Wait here. I'll go get some." With that, he twirls me once more and darts off to find a waiter.

The couples on the dancefloor are swinging left and right—feels like they are whirling around me. I throw my head up and smile at the crystal icicles hanging from the ceiling. What will Nate bring? Mojitos? Shots? Some wine? Yeah, I could take another drink.

Honestly, this night isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I survived meeting Roman, then weathered Dad's anxiety. I came clean with Nate, had a few drinks...and look at me! I'm still standing—dancing! Okay, I'm all alone and awkwardly swaying left and right, but I don't feel lonely anymore.

Raising my arms to the rhythm of the song, I swing my hips. Why do I feel chills creeping up my spine? Did they amp the AC or did I have too much to drink? The bass of the music pulses in my chest. I stop dancing, press my hands against my heart and push it back. Why is it out of rhythm?

A shadow sweeps across the dance floor and takes my breath away. I sense a pair of eyes flickering at the nape of my neck, demanding me to turn around. I resist the urge, but it's getting harder to stand grounded. My heart feels heavy. Goosebumps flare all over my skin.

I shouldn't look back...

My gaze drifts over the guests heads, searching for a distraction. Where is Nate?

There he is! By the edge of the dance floor, patting a waiter's arm, grabbing a couple of glasses from a tray. The stage lights cast a halo around him, and I can't help but think...what a great guy he is.

Faint footsteps shake the earth. A different kind of heat, one that stirs that dark place within my soul, burns the exposed skin on my back. No matter how much I try to focus on Nate, my primal side needs me to turn around. It demands me to look...at him. So, I do.

One look won't do any harm.

The dancing crowd in their elegant ballgowns part and let me catch a glimpse of Roman. He is standing under the stage, in the shadows. His fists are clenched, hanging by his sides—just like mine. His head mirrors my movement, tilting up, ever so slightly. I can feel the storm inside him. He wants me. But I can't run into his arms.

I remember this moment... I dreamt about it on my twenty-fifth birthday. Is this where my life is heading? A cliff and an eternal fall?

I hug myself and dig my nails into my arms. Am I running to the future I'm escaping from?

Roman's frown deepens. His face suddenly blurs and disappears when Nate waves a champagne glass in front of my eyes.

"Sorry. Took me a while to find the good stuff," he says, chuckling into my ear, then spins me around to face him.