24 - How Soon Is Soon?

"Shit," I hear Nate whisper.

The morning sun streams through the open curtains, falling straight onto my face. I stretch my arms and crack my eyes open to find Nate sitting next to me, leaning against the headrest.

His phone's front camera is on and he is staring at his reflection, poking at the gap between his teeth. He angles his chin down to inspect the dark bruising around his eye, then lifts his head to check his swollen lip. His tongue traces the edges of his remaining upper teeth, left and right.

"Fuck," he mutters, lowering the phone to his lap.

Fuck indeed. My cheeks heat up as I bite my lip and try to cover my face with my messy morning hair. This is my fault. And I feel like the worst person in the universe.

"Can I get you a painkiller or something?" I ask, touching his shoulder.

Nate runs his tongue across his lip this time, then squirms. "Nah, I'd rather if you stayed."

With a sigh, I climb onto his legs and take his thoughtful face between my palms. "I'm so sorry, Nate."

His brows shoot up in amusement. "Why? Are you the one who beat me up?"

"No, but—"

"Then stop apologizing," he says with a kind smile. I lower my head and fight the tears. Is he even real?

Holding my wrists, Nate guides my hands to caress his cheeks. I try to be as gentle as I can while my touch glides on his skin. Then he moves my fingers to his lips—they are soft and bumpy. He purses them for a kiss, but ends up sucking a painful breath. "Fuck." His green eyes shine brighter than the morning sun when our gazes meet. "No kissing then."

I shake my head with a smile and lean forward to kiss his forehead. His soft breathing heats my chest.

We turn our heads to the door when it creaks open and Dad peers in. His eyes widen when he sees me straddling Nate, and immediately shuts the door.

"Abby?" Dad's panicky voice calls from outside.

My face turns crimson as I jump off of Nate and swing the door open. "Yeah. Morning!" I chirp, leaning on the doorframe, trying my best to look casual.

Dad opens and shuts his mouth for a brief second, but then straightens up and looks into my eyes. "I'm leaving for office hours. There's breakfast—cereal. And coffee. Ibuprofen too, for Nate."

"Thank you, Dr. Shepherd!" Nate sings, covering his boxers with the sheets.

Dad peeks into my room when I move aside. "How are you?"

"Missing my tooth." Nate grins, but then frowns in pain.

Dad nods, grabbing the doorknob. "It was nice to meet you, son. Have a safe trip back home."

Nate turns his gaze to the bed covers. He is fiddling with the edges. "Thanks."

I peck Dad's cheek and follow him downstairs. He looks cute this morning, with a neat, striped shirt tucked into a pair of dark trousers that are pulled up around his waistline. His gray hair is combed to the left, as always. Though, there is something different about him that I can't put a finger on. Is he angry at me? His bushy brows are furrowed, but he is biting his bottom lip which means that his mind must be racing right now.

I tug at my white t-shirt as we cross the living room and stop at the entrance. "I'm sorry about last night," I say, leaning on the dining table.

Dad turns his back at me, grabs his coat from the hanger and zips it up.