023. bedlam74

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

              ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Change: NF

"Hey, Batgirl." Jack smiles as I enter the room, clutching my backpack strap.

"Oh, hell yeah. She's back!" Bozer claps his hands and walks over to me. "Bring it in, c'mon." He hugs me.

"I got your message, Matty." I pull away. "You're stuck by my side for the rest of the day."

"What do you mean?" Riley furrows her eyebrows.

"Riley, have you ever heard of a hacker group called Bedlam74?" Matty pulls it up on the screen and I cross my arms.

"No. Why?"

"Because they've heard of you. Phoenix intercepted several messages from them from the deep Web.
They're looking for Artemis37."

"Your old hacker handle." I inquire.

"What do they want?" Evan asks.

"They'd like to hire her for a job, and they're willing to pay big bitcoin." Matty says.

"Hackers are paranoid, tight-knit groups that only work with people they trust. Why do they want new blood?" Riley wonders.

"Well, their best coder disappeared about a month ago."

"Disappeared, like won the lottery?" Bozer suggests.

"I think she means more the murdery kind, Bozer." McKenna tells him.

"What's the job that they want Riley for then?" Evan questions.

"Doesn't matter. She's not in the black hat business anymore, am I right?" Jack raises her eyebrows.

"Well, I think she may need to come out of retirement, just for this one." I tell him.

"We've discovered that Bedlam74 has been gearing up for a major cyber attack. And if they're willing to spend a small fortune to hire a legend like you, whatever this attack is..." Matty trails off.

"Could be catastrophic." Riley nods.

"Exactly. These guys want a face-to-face. And Lina and I are thinking that this is our best shot to ID them, get a sense of exactly what it is they're planning."

"So you want Riley to go undercover as Riley?" Bozer tells us.

"If Riley goes under as herself, who do Lina, Evan, Mac and I go as?" Jack points between us. "Each other?"

"Cute." I say in monotone while nodding. "You're not going. Nobody would believe that you even know how to turn on a computer, Jack."

"Okay."

"Besides, they only wanna meet with Riley."

"If she goes with anyone else, it'll blow the whole operation." Mac nods.