042. who's ready to raise the roof?

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

            ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Look What You Made Me Do: Taylor Swift

"Hurry up." I whisper.

"Does it look like I'm taking my time?" Mac keeps working on the door.

"Well, I'm just saying, your burglary skills suck." I cross my arms.

"You wanna trade places?" He cranes his neck and I straighten a paperclip out with my teeth, then using it to pick the lock with ease. "You had that the whole time?"

"You didn't ask." I walk past him and head inside the diner.

"Yeah, cause maybe you just wanted to see me do my thing." He says from behind me and I smirk down before turning to face him.

"Don't flatter yourself, that's Jack job." I reach my arm over him and close the door, then locking it. I now turn and head further into the diner. "I'm gonna send Matty our coordinates so she can redirect that exfil chopper to us." I sit at the booth and take out Riley's laptop from my bag.

"ETA?" He closes the curtains and turns off the dim lights.

"Thirty minutes." I start typing. "So I'm also gonna upload that data we just stole to the Phoenix just in case..."

"We, uh, never set foot on that chopper?"

"Yeah. Pretty much."

"You know, right about now, Jack would be going on and on about how this is all my fault we're in this mess."

"Personally, I'm more interested in finding a way out of this mess, since it won't take the guys we stole this from thirty minutes to catch up to us."

"Way less than thirty minutes." He looks out the window and I follow his gaze.

"Oh, an early start, how nice of them." I close the laptop and sling my bag over my shoulders while getting up.

"They're far from nice, actually."

"No, really? What gave it away?"

"I don't know, the fact they got machine guns strapped to their-"

"That was rhetorical."

"Really? I can't ever tell with you."

"Yeah, that's not news to either us. When I told you to give me space when we had that stupid fight over our treasure hunt when we were kids, you literally made your own home on the whole other side of the beach. You even made a fire and a sandcastle."

"Jealous I was having fun without you for once?"

"No. When I asked you to give me space, I meant to leave fully and not come back until the next day. And let's be honest, you were not having fun. You didn't even last five minutes until you came back apologizing and practically begged for my forgiveness."