Attacked from Above - Part 1

"What the hell did this to them?"

(Scene with the soldiers outside in the storm.)
...
(Scene with Josh, Maddy and Zoe and the other kids with Washington and Mark at survival training.)
...

Liam is out helping his parents paint the house.

"Mommy, can I have this one?" Zoe asks picking up a plant.

"Yeah, sure honey. I don't see why not."

"Okay, let's find a nice pot for that." Jim says coming up to Zoe.

"Look, daddy. It has a mouth." Zoe says. She reaches out and faintly touches it and it closes itself.

"Whoa." Jim says and Zoe chuckles. "Maybe you shouldn't do that again."

"Can I take it to my room?" She then asks.

"Yeah, just don't let it bite your nose off."

"I won't." She says and takes it with her inside.

"It's funny, I know it's yellow, but it is an unusual hue." Elisabeth says.

"That's because it's a natural pigment, and the plant its made from doesn't exist in 2149. Kind of like crimson before the Spanish brought it back in the 1500s. No one in Europe had ever seen it before." Maddy says.

"It is amazing how you keep all that stuff in your head." Jim tells her.

"Well, have you seen it? It's huge." Liam says taking his sister's head in his hand and she groans.

"Get off." She whines and he laughs.

"You know, mom and dad don't like talking about it, but they were worried it might not make it through the portal." Liam shrugs.

"Mhm. Don't touch me. You reek." She says and Liam goes to hug her but she stops him.

"No, Liam. Go take a shower." She says pushing him away.

...

Later at night Elisabeth goes to get Zoe to bed.

"But I wanna sleep in your bed." Zoe says.

"I know you do, sweetheart, but here's the thing, Daddy's home now. That's where he and I are supposed to sleep. Come on." Elisabeth says, pulling up the duvet over her daughter. "You got your own bed now."

"Hey, Zoe. I'll be right here beside you, and we can keep this light on if you want." Maddy says.

"Yeah? Come on, you're a big girl now." Her mother says, kissing her forehead. "Good night."

...
(Scene with Elisabeth and Jim.)
...

Jim walks out shirtless and finds Liam already standing outside with crossed arms, glaring at the creatures.

"Hey, scat! Get out of here!" Jim tries to scare them off.

The creature just continues screeching.

"Yeah, you. Scat!" Jim says.

It flies off and they walk back in. Liam goes back to bed and Jim goes to Elisabeth in their bedroom.

"Okay, I scared them off." Jim says and turns after closing the door to see Zoe sleeping in their bed.

"She needed a cuddle. I'm sorry." Elisabeth says.

...

"Good morning, Commander Taylor. You wanted to see us?" Jim says walking up to him with Liam.

"We lost contact with a supply run out by Outpost 3." He tells them.

"They last checked in at Marker 26 Alpha on the north rim."