Chapter 9

I was laying down on my bed with my phone out. I was looking at instagram and seeing what everyone was posting about online when I checked the time. “8:30 already? I think I should go to sleep soon.” I was looking at a post that was a photo of the basketball team. But really, I was just looking at Nicholas. I wasn’t sure why, but for some reason he looked really cool in that photo.
I got ready for bed, put on some comfy pajamas, and got under the covers. Everything felt nice and warm, and soon I was fast asleep.
I woke up only to find myself in another dream. Except this time, the Mother of light was nowhere to be seen. That was a dream, right?
The world slowly began building around me. I found myself in a large forest, filled with strange plants that I didn't recognize. I bent over to get a closer look at some of them. They looked so cool and fascinating. Just then, I heard the voices of two younger boys.
“This way!”
“Wait for me!”
“You’re too slow!”
I then saw the two kids run past me. I knew they couldn’t see me, because this was a dream, so I just ran behind them to catch up. It seemed like they were both playing with each other in these woods.
They both slowed down in front of what looked like a very small river. “I don’t think we should be out this far. Our parents might get mad at us.”
“Stop being a scaredy cat. I’m pretty sure they would say I’m courageous and brave!”
They both looked similar. Maybe they were twins?
One looked scared to be out in this deep part of the woods, and the other looked brave and adventurous, like he was ready to face any danger.
“What if something gets to us?”
“Don’t worry, I’ll use my magic powers to save us!”
Magic.
These two knew about magic.
Before I could hear any more, everything started fading. “Wait, no! How do they know about magic?! I want answers! Please!”
I then woke up, feeling very confused about my dream.
***
For the rest of the day, all I could think about was that strange dream. I barely talked to Nicholas in Geometry. I wasn’t really paying attention to anything really.
I was just so confused on how those two boys in my dream knew about magic. Maybe they lived in a world where magic exists, the world the Mother of light was talking about. And maybe I could be part of that world.
Or maybe my mind was just playing tricks on me. It could just be a fantasy that I wanted to be true.
I just couldn’t focus on anything. And Nicholas seemed to notice this when we were deep in the woods later, working on anything that needed to be finished.
“Hello? Earth to Wilbur!” Nicholas waved his hand in front of my face.
I shook my head. “Oh, sorry. What were we doing again?”
“We were trying to finish some of my Spanish homework, but you’ve been staring off into space for the last five minutes. What is going on with you today? It’s not like you were focused on anything in class either.”
“I just can’t stop thinking about this weird dream.” I said.
“Well, can you at least try to pay attention? I’m the one who wants help with my homework, and you’re supposed to help me. You promised.” He said, pointing at me.
“Alright, I’ll try.” I said.
I managed to stay focused until we were done with working on everything for the day. But, I still needed to ask Nicholas something.
“So, do you still want to do studying?” I asked. “I know that the basketball stuff has already happened, and your grades have improved, but if you still want some extra help with your homework-”
“Yes!”
I stopped for a second, a little shocked.
“Oh, sorry. Yeah, I would like that.”
“Do you have anything else you would like to work on now?” I asked. “I don’t actually have anything I need to work on, but if you can check my answers on this Geometry worksheet I would be fine with that.”
I double checked the worksheet for him, and to my surprise, he had every answer right.
“Wow. This is entirely correct.”
“I didn’t get any answers wrong?”
“Nope. I’m kind of shocked for once.”
“Hey! It wasn’t like I got everything wrong before!”
“But you still were getting most of them wrong.”
We kept talking back and forth until it was time to go home. We made our way to the gates of the park and said goodbye to each other. I began walking home when I started thinking about Nicholas again. I wondered why I thought about him so much. Maybe I just liked being friends with him.
I went up to my room, taking extra notes about things I was noticing with my powers. Here were a couple of things I had written down so far:
Flowers grew under me whenever Nicholas was around. This was the first thing I noticed. They would usually be the color of something he was wearing.
Sometimes water shoots out of my hands when I get startled, and everyone else just thinks that I accidentally knocked over my water bottle or something like that.
Golden dust appears on me if I have a really good dream. It makes me sneeze when I wake up and I have no idea what it actually does, if it actually does anything. It disappears after a while.
The last thing I had written down was that sometimes objects would randomly float if they were next to me. Usually I would be lost in thought, and I didn’t have to be thinking about anything in particular for that to happen.
I wrote down some more notes and updates about my magic powers. Then, I placed it back in my desk drawer under a pile of papers where nobody else would find it.
Usually after practicing and using my powers, it drains my energy and so I’m always pretty tired afterwards. I somehow manage to not pass out, even though it’s hard. Then, I make my way home and tell my parents that I’m just exhausted after a long day of working. They usually leave me alone and don’t press further.
I sat down on my bed until Mom called me downstairs for dinner. I sat down at the table with them.
“So, how’s school going?” She asked. “Everything’s great! My grades are still looking good, and I don’t have any work to finish.”
“That’s great!” My dad said. “If you can keep your grades up, maybe we can get you a treat sometime.”
That sounded nice. “Sure.”
After dinner, I made my way up to my room. I was tired and wanted to sleep. I hoped that I wouldn’t have any dreams tonight. My most recent ones haven’t been that great. Maybe I will get something good, if I did have one.
I fell asleep before I could start thinking about anything else.