Chapter 10

I woke up on a Monday morning, feeling a little nervous. But, I knew that was normal considering we had a test today.

Wilbur and I had been studying for the past few days trying to prepare for the test. Even though I had done very well with studying, I still wasn't sure if I was actually going to do well.

When I got to Geometry, Wilbur was already sitting in his seat. The teacher had moved the desks apart so that we were less likely to cheat on the test. I sat down and waited for the teacher to start the class when Wilbur whispered in my ear. "Don't worry, I know you'll do fine."

For some reason that made my face heat up and it gave me a strange sense of confidence. Maybe for once I should believe in myself.

Just then I heard the teacher speak up. "Alright class, today is the day of your test. I told you we would be having this test multiple days ago, so if you didn't study and use the study guide that I gave you then that's your fault. Please move your desks so you are not next to anyone." She began handing out pieces of paper to everyone. "You will have the entire class period to finish this. You are not allowed to talk to anyone or else I will see it as cheating and take points off. And your test begins... now!"

Alright, I guess it's time for me to start and get this over with.

I looked over the test paper. Most of the problems actually seemed pretty easy. I guess that was because I was studying a lot more.

After I was done with the test, I put the piece of paper on the teachers desk. Then, I sat back down in my seat. I let out a sigh of relief. I was done with this test and didn't need to worry about it anymore.

Wilbur pulled out his phone and pointed to it. That was the sign he used if he wanted to text me in class. He had finished the test before I did, and was keeping his phone hidden from others' view.

I pulled out my own phone slowly.

"How do you think you did?" Was the text I received.

"I'm not sure. I'll just have to see later." I responded.

"I think you did really well. ;)"

"I think you also did really well. ;)"

I put my phone back in my pocket, because I didn't want to be caught by the teacher. She might take more points off because she might think I'm cheating, even though I was done with my test.

A few minutes later, the teacher spoke again. "I think everyone is finished with the test, so everyone can do what they want as long as it's school related. I will have these tests graded by the end of the week. Be sure any missing work has been turned in before then."

About twenty minutes later, the bell rang and we headed off to our next classes.

I began walking down the hallway. "See you later."

Wilbur went in the other direction. "You too."

***

A few days later, we were both back in Geometry again. The teacher began handing back our tests, and I was nervous.

She gave me mine. "Good job. It seems like you really have made some improvement." She said to me.

I looked at the piece of paper. I had gotten 90 percent. The only points I lost were from silly mistakes, but still. I really had done a good job.

"What did you get on the test?" Wilbur asked me. "How about we wait until we get to the park later and then we can tell each other?" I suggested.

"Wow, making me wait that long? So cruel." He said, dramatically.

"You're gonna have to deal with it until then." I responded with a smug look on my face.

"Ugh, fine."

Later that day I headed over to the park. I brought my test with me so I could fully look over what I missed, because I didn't bother to do that during class.

I made my way into the forest. Wilbur was already there, like always. I sat down across from him, setting my bag on the ground. "So, can we tell each other what we got on the test now?" Wilbur asked, clearly impatient. "Alright, fine."

"Yes!" He pulled out the test from his bag. "I got eighty seven percent. What did you get?" He asked me. I could tell he wasn't expecting me to have a better score than him, especially since it seemed from past studying that I didn't really understand this unit really well before.

"You want to know what I got?"

"Yes! Just tell me!"

"Are you sure?"

"You promised!"

"Alright." I took out my own test and placed it on the ground. "I got a ninety." I had a smug look on my face.

"No way! How?!"

"I'm just better than you."

"I bet that I'll get a higher score than you on the next test!"

"I bet that you won't."

We kept talking like that until it was time to go home, throwing some banter back and forth. We didn't really do much other than talk, which I thought was fine. If I did better than Wilbur on a test, then I don't think I really need much help in that regard.

When I got home I immediately went upstairs and into my room, put on some pajamas and flopped on my bed.

I was tired and I just wanted to fall asleep.

But there I was, thinking about Wilbur.

His bright green eyes, his soft brown hair...

"Oh fuck."