9. with arms outstretched

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

When Lucas and Ethan finished basketball practice, they decided to go together to Karen's café, which was being run by Deb Scott while Karen was taking cooking classes in Italy. As soon as the two boys opened the door, Lucas stopped in his tracks and Ethan bumped into him.

"What?" Ethan asked and then saw Dan, Lucas just turned to leave.

Ethan needed caffeine, cookies, and to do his homework. So, the boy just shrugged and went inside.

"Hi, Ms. Deb." Ethan ignored Dan, walked past the counter, kissed the woman on the head and went to get a cookie. Before he could, Deb slapped the boy's hand and told him to sit down.

Deb handed him the cookie and a mug of coffee. When Ethan took a sip, he spat the coffee into the mug, hearing Dan laugh and Deb stare at him.

"Deb, I'm sorry but this isn't coffee. Sit in my seat and I'll throw it away and make some coffee." Dan couldn't hold in his laughter; he'd even ducked his head so Deb wouldn't get even angrier with him. Deb ended up letting the boy make the coffee again.

Dan left soon after, saying goodbye to his wife. When Deb looked at Ethan, he had already placed a cup of coffee in front of her and was drinking his.

"Hey, Deb. Can I ask you something?" Ethan asked awkwardly and sat down next to her.

"Sure."

"Okay. Normally, I'd ask Karen, but she's not here." Ethan explained and Deb just nodded. "How do I know a girl is into me?" Deb straightened up; Nathan had never talked to her about it. Deb imagined that this was something boys talked about amongst themselves.

"Ethan, isn't that something you'd rather talk about with your friends?" Deb asked.

"No, they'd just make fun of me. And my dad would pick on me too much." Ethan told her.

"Well, the way she talks and treats you is probably different from how she is with others, the way she touches you." Deb continued but Ethan interrupted her.

"What if she's affectionate with her friends?" Ethan asked.

"Ethan, you'll notice. She'll look at you differently, sometimes it's all in the look." Deb smiled and went to the counter when she saw people entering the café.

Ethan then began to wonder if there was a possibility that Emma was attracted to him, and if she was already considering him as a friend. Because he was at least considering her as a friend, Ethan would rather have Emma in his life as a friend than not.