13. quiet things that no one ever knows & unopened letter to the world

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

Ethan had given Nathan a break. But after seeing him act like a complete asshole during class, even insinuating that the teacher was indecent, Ethan decided to talk to the boy, because who better to understand than him?

Ethan had just parked his bike at Nathan's building when he saw the boy getting out. Ethan ran up to Nathan who was heading towards his own car, Ethan knocked on the window of Nate's car.

"Let's go." Ethan didn't question, he just got in the car.

Nathan drove aimlessly, while Ethan was completely silent. Nathan stopped at a gas station to buy drinks and then drove aimlessly until they came to a stop where they could see the rest of Tree Hill.

Nathan and Ethan got out of the car in silence, sitting on the hood while they opened a can of drink.

"How do you do that, Ethan?" Nathan asked the boy, not looking at him.

"Do what, Nathan?" Ethan stared at him.

Nathan sighed, feeling that his world was falling apart.

"How do you keep going without falling apart while Emma's gone?" Nathan asked.

Ethan took a long sip from his beer can and laughed humorlessly.

"Is that what you think? That I'm not falling apart?" Ethan asked back.

Nathan looked at his cousin and nodded.

"Nathan, I miss Emma every second of every day. I miss her touch, her smell, her smile. I feel like a pre-teen getting messages from her crush when she manages to pick up or call me." Ethan confessed. "Although our situation is similar, it's completely different."

Nathan looked at Ethan, pulling out another can of beer to open.

"What do you mean?"

"Nathan, Emma talked to me and Peyton before she decided to leave." Ethan said. "And she didn't kissed Keller. She left to pursue her dream, who am I to stop that? Ethan explained.

For Nathan, perhaps the situation was more confusing and painful. Nathan has always made it clear that he doesn't trust Keller, and Haley lied to him while recording a demo with Keller, kissed him, and kept texting him. And Nathan forgave all that, but Haley just left, after fighting with him about it. Haley didn't even asked him to come with her, or wait for him to talk it over.