Chapter 5

Piper

I decided that it would be the perfect time to call Thalia. I got the backpack from under my bed and dug through it, looking for the burner. She said to do it when we were safe, and we're joining a pack. Brenda took Zeke and I back to her house after the pack asked me a few questions. We're supposed to get ready for tonight, then go to the pack house for dinner and the ceremony. I still have enough time to have a quick conversation with Thalia.

I gave up digging and just dumped the contents of the bag onto my bed. I pushed around the pile and found the gun, which I quickly covered back up with clothes. I honestly do not even like looking at it. I don't think I'll ever use it. I grabbed the phone and found the jeans that I wore when we ran away.

I dialed the number on the paper and waited as it rang. "Hello?" Thalia answered.

Her voice brought a smile to my face. Its only been a few days, but I miss her like crazy. "Luna Thalia!" I chirped happily.

"Piper? Thank god you're alright. Are you guys safe?" she said in a rush.

I nodded, but realized that she can't see me. "Yeah. We're safe" I informed her. "We got a few states away from the pack. We stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights"

She sighed in relief. "Where are you guys now?" she asked.

"We met another pack. Zeke and I are going to join them" I said excitedly.

Thalia squealed on the other line. "That's great! I'm so happy for you guys"

Her voice was strained. It worried me. "What's wrong?" I questioned. Waves of terror washed over me. What if they found me? What if they are at the pack lines as I'm speaking to Thalia? What if-

"It's Nick" she said, unknowingly making my worries worse. Nick is Alpha Terence's and Thalia's son; the one that I was supposed to mate with. We went out a few times, since our fathers wanted us to 'bond.' He's actually a really nice guy. I can tell that he will be a great mate, which is another reason I had to get out of this twisted deal my father made.

Alpha Terence didn't care about other people. He just wanted to be the strongest pack. And a strong pack needs strong leaders. The plan was for Nick to mate with a high-ranked bloodline, but Alphas always have sons. There is never a female born with Alpha blood, which is why Alpha Terence picked me. Stupid, sexist bloodlines. I have 100% full Beta blood. Both my parents had Beta blood.

If Nick and I mated, we would be the strongest couple. Our children would be the strongest werewolves because they would have Beta blood and Alpha blood running in their veins. There would be no regular werewolf genes. That is what Alpha Terence wanted. He never cared about what either of us wanted. He just wants the strongest leaders and the strongest pack. He just wants power, but I'm not letting him get the power by using his own son.

Nick deserved to be with his mate. He shouldn't have to mate with a girl because his father told him to. He should have a chance with the person that was truly made just for him, and that person just wasn't me. Sure, there would be no way of knowing for sure who my mate is until I turn 16. When I'm 16, my wolf fully matured, so it can create the connection between me and my mate. But even without being of age, I could tell that Nick's not my mate.

He's amazing, but I just didn't have feelings for him. When we held hands, or shared small kisses, it didn't really mean anything to us. I didn't feel anything, it was all actions. It was just a show for our fathers and some pack members. We have a connection, I'll admit that. But it's not anything romantic. He's more like a big brother, a protector. Plus, Zeke absolutely adored Nick.

I just hope he didn't get hurt. "Is he alright?" I asked, voicing my thoughts.

"He's better than alright!" Thalia squealed. "He found his mate!" she announced.