Chapter 4: Vernon's fish and chips

I don't like fish and chips. I love fish and chips. I think it's this country's most ingenious creation. That, and rowing. Fish and chips is my motivation through the week. When I wake up every Friday, it's like Christmas. That's also partly why St Hybe's College is probably the best college in Foxpond. That, and because there's Kim Mingyu in it.

Wait. You don't know who Kim Mingyu is? Where have you been? He's the first heir of the Topaz dynasty. Basically, when his folks die, he rules Foxpond. Well, at least, the Topaz share of Foxpond – the other half goes to the Ruby dynasty. But more importantly, Kim Mingyu is my best friend.

My family is obviously not as rich and influent as his, but we've been brought up together and did everything together: went to the same private elementary and secondary schools, fell in love with the same girls, both got into St Hybe's. Well, he's one year ahead, so my final year of high school was hell without him. But we're both Graduates now, and if he gets a PhD spot like he wants, we'll stay for another year together in Foxpond.

If I want to do a PhD? I mean, my mum will tell you that I want to, but if you really ask me, I'll tell you that I want to work in a potato field somewhere in rural Ireland. But I don't think she'd judge this "worthy enough" of my lineage.

But yo, I didn't choose to be born in a rich-ass family. Especially when I'm in this in-between where I'm not crazy rich, like Mingyu's or even Jeonghan's families, but still rich enough to be considered as an heir. My mum doesn't own any of the colleges, her family just bought a few of the shops and apartments of the town a few decades ago. But that way I don't have too much of a weight on my shoulders. The future of Foxpond doesn't depend on my succeeding to do a PhD and marry well.

Me, I just focus on getting as much chips as I can get in hall on Fridays. It's only a few weeks after the start of term and, after a fish-and-chips-deprived summer, I start to breathe again. You're probably tired of me talking of potatoes, but have you actually had good fish and chips? It's crispy yet tender, greasy yet healthy (for your information, the only vegetable that suits fish and chips is peas, and this not open to discussion), and both filling and light.

However, this Friday, I had a fish-and-chips-related issue – which is arguably the worst kind of issue you could have, even if my mum will tell you the worst kind of issue you could have is a bad marriage. I was minding my own business, eating my chips with my tartare sauce, enjoying every one of them quietly (the rule is: don't talk to Vernon at lunch on Fridays), remaining impervious to what was happening around me (probably Mingyu talking about some girl he turned down), when I saw a hand steal one of my precious chips from my plate.

I was first too stunned to react, but when I saw the red gem on the guy's hand, I looked up. And it was that idiot from the Ruby dynasty who keeps following me everywhere. I knew who he was, obviously, but I'd never had to talk to him in my life before, but this year he won't leave me alone: he got assigned as my roommate (actually I need your take on this: is it normal for your roommate to walk around naked with just a towel around his waist even when you're here?), he's in the same rowing team as me (oh, and what do you think about this: my roommate lies in my bed when I'm not in it, does it mean that he's trying to assert domination or that he doesn't know which bed is his?), and now he's stealing my chips!

"Thanks, homie," Lee Dokyeom said with a wink as he began to walk away.

"Give it back," I spoke up, putting my fork down on the table. I was pissed, and he wasn't getting away with it.

But Dokyeom had already eaten the whole thing. Didn't he have a plate full of chips himself? Why steal mine? He was looking at me with self-satisfied closed eyes, which had the shape of crescents, while munching on the chips. "Too late!" he shrugged.