Chapter 5: Seungcheol's roommate's brother

I don't go to parties. Not because I don't like them or because I'm too busy workin' (which I usually am). I just don't get invited. I mean, who would invite the countryside boy with the ugly accent? Bein' part of the rowin' team doesn't help much.

Not that I really care about goin' to parties. I have a PhD project to write up – goin' well, almost half-way through the first draft. But my roommate wanted me to come so bad that I didn't find it in me to say no. He even offered to invite the whole rowin' team. He's cute (although weird), and, mostly, he gets what he wants. I dunno how he does it.

The result is that I'm at a party organised by the Topaz, in an ol' chapel owned by Joshua's family. There's lots of free food and free alcohol, and lots of rich students. I don't feel like I fit in, but I focus on the buffet and it gets a lil better.

I made an effort with my outfit, but it's nowhere near as elegant as everyone in the room. I tell myself that in a few hours, they'll all be too drunk to notice. Me, I come from a family of peasants, I've drunk strong alcohol from the crib, so I'll stay more or less sober the whole night.

Wooyoung-ah said he'd come early, but I shoulda known he can't be trusted. I do see Yunho-yah standin' awkwardly with his new friends. I dunno if he's seen me but if he has, he's been ignorin' me. I dunno what to think about him. He's a good kid. But lately he's been avoidin' us and I understand why Wooyoung's pissed. I would be too, if my best friend acted all snob 'round me.

After at least a good fifteen minutes, durin' which I wonder if I should just head off and read some politician's biography, I finally hear a familiar "Hyung!" and turn to face my roommate.

Joshua is radiant (when is he not?), and I notice even a bit of make-up around his eyes. Too bad he's so young and so rich – completely outta my league. "You came!" he exclaims excitedly. "Why are you alone? I thought the rowing team was coming."

"Not there yet," I manage to reply, lookin' down.

"Well, come and meet my friends, then!"

He takes me by the hand – the other one is holdin' a fancy drink I couldn't recognise – and slaloms through the crowd, stoppin' from time to time to introduce me to some guy or some girl he knows.

There's faces I'm already familiar with, like Yunho, but also Chwe Vernon from the rowin' team, or Kim Mingyu (everybody knows Kim Mingyu). In the end, we stop walkin' and he smiles brightly. "I think that's everyone! Oh, wait. Here's my brother."

Standin' alone in a corner, with his back against a wall, and an untouched drink in his hand, the most beautiful boy. He's very much like Joshua, with a few more years, and way calmer. I don't think I have a type but I'd be willin' to create one just for him to fit in there.

"Jeonghan-hyung, this is my roommate!" he says, draggin' me by the sleeve. I can't take my eyes off him. The boy with the long hair and the pale face nods at me very slowly and I smile. "Seungcheol-hyung, this is my brother."

"Pleasure," I greet him. I pinch my lips because I'm talkin' to an heir and I'm once again way too casual. Well, I'm casual with Joshua and he's an heir, but he's a baby so he doesn't count.

Yoon Jeonghan simply nods again, and then tilts his head to the side. I feel very naked all of a sudden, as if he's judgin' me from head to toe, which he probably is. Finally he opens his mouth, and glances at his brother before telling me, "So you're the sexy roommate he can't shut up about?"

I instantly look down and I'm pretty sure I'm red in the face, and he's certainly noticed, but it's Joshua who answers. "Did I say 'sexy'? I can't remember. But he is sexy, isn't he?"