Chapter 51: Hooke's law

The silence returned, but the light did not. The hymn of the forest—rustling of leaves and the sound of cicadas and crickets—harmonized together in this dense vegetation.

Soon, the panting sound of someone trying to catch their breath reverberated through the whole place.

The smell of blood and tears lingered, and an image of a kid in the dark could be spotted. With her right hand elevated, the kid was holding a handle torn apart from something.

"Grace... Where are you?" Her voice wavered in fear and longing, though the situation she was in was quite dangerous.

"Grace, respond right now!" She was more likely frightened than angry.

"Young miss... I'm still inside the carriage. You are close to me, I expect, since I hear you loudly," another voice replied to her.

"That’s 'cause I'm shouting!" In a mix of emotions, she clarified. "What do we do now?"

"Miss, what happened?"
The other person did not answer and left the place in silence, or perhaps she was taking too long to reply.

Cold winds passed through them, and the sound of the trees that served as the canopy from the moon's light intensified. In an exact moment, the forest became silent again.

"Grace... I think I killed a person."

"What?"

"You heard it clearly, you nutjob! I just killed a person." Irritated, she exclaimed, "Wanna be next?"

"N-no, young m-miss."

In the dark, the two people were struggling to communicate as they did not know where to look. They just turned their heads towards where the sound came from.

"Grace, come out of the carriage. Judging by the intensity of your voice, I'm outside of the carriage. You still have that picture in your head, right? That picture before the light disappeared."

"I will try my best, young miss."

After she said that, a sound of something moving and wobbling through something was incessantly noisy.

"Grace, what the heck? Are you doing backflips inside the carriage?" Now she was annoyed due to the unexpected sound Grace made.

But it didn't stop there. The noise became even louder.

"Grace, stop moving, you're gonna attract some creatures here!"

"M-miss... I'm terribly sorry. I do not know the correct pathway."

A sigh came out from the small figure outside. Her face couldn't be seen, but the sound of her sigh showed her emotions—annoyed, scared, tired, and miserable.

"Miss, I will try to move out silently." Announcing, she was poised. She sure wanted to do as her master does.

She seemed to notice the atmosphere and the sound her young miss made. As she tried to get the picture of the whole carriage again, her foot slid onto something, and the sound of someone being hurt was released from her mouth.

The young miss responded with a click of her tongue in disapproval. The servant, Grace, was in pain. On the side of one of her calves, a stinging pain signaled through her brain.