3. Shock

A women was breathing weakly, her lower body filled with blood. Her stomach raised.
"She is dying. She wants to talk to you before forcing the baby out. She is likely to die of dystocia". Said the midwife outside the room of the heaving woman.

The people in the room shrouded in darkness and gloom. A little boy clutched the dress of the older middle aged woman. A young man was pale faced and red eyed. The older man was smoking a pipe standing by the wall and window. The clock ticking as though counting the final moments of the woman's life.

"Let's go hear what she has to say. ". Said the older women.

They all went in single file.
"Morgan, ow dear". Said the older woman holding the boys hand. "Ow you are here. Come here ,my baby boy ". She said breathing heavily.  The little boy was pushed forward.

"You are so precious. I am so sorry. Your father doesn't even know you exist. His surnamed Storm in the next county ". She heaved.

Everyone paled. "Mama?". The little boy asked.

"I was pregnant with you before I got engaged to you Simon. I didn't cheat. My parents tied me up and sent me to you. If you promise to look after him for him ,I will give my life for the little on in my belly. I also ask that you look after the little one. " She heaved at the end.

Everyone was silent. Simon was angry visibly. People have told me many a times , a boy with black locks and green eyes doesn't suit to be his son with his red locks and the boys mother's blonde locks. He has had a slight prejudice to the little boy. She also knew that once she gives birth her son will suffer.

So she said ",I left a letter for your father in my chest. You take the chest with you. I left all other things to your younger sibling. Don't hate me. Don't hate your sibling. I ..I love you baby". She cried and she pushed hard feeling pangs of pain. They were all driven out of the room and then a baby's cry came along with weakening female heaves. The midwife came out. "It's a boy sir. A full three point five kilograms. She is calling for you". She said.

After a while a repressed cry came. Simon came out. "She died because of you !" He came out and held the boy up in the air.
"No...no daddy!". The little boy cried.
"Simon  what are you doing !". His mother put down the baby and took the boy from his arms.

It was chaos. He was going to get a gun in his room. His mother was shocked.
"Do you want to kill him as soon as your wife died and your child is born?". She scolded.

The little boy cried.

In the wee hours , Mrs Hopkins woke up her grandson, took the chest his mother left for him and took a carriage and ran. Her son wanted to sell this little boy. She couldn't hear him ,but she can't raise him or protect him. So she sneaked him out.

Meanwhile in the Storm household , a faint happiness was seen.
"Have you painted the patio? I hear English people like their  tea in the patio. "said an elderly women in her late forties. Her face stretched in happiness.

"Mama, she will like it here. Although not rich, our house is very large. I hear most girls who marry from London used to live in slums and tiny stone rooms. So she should be empressed by a large wooden country house with lots of fields and a score of farm animals right?". Said a youngman , with mahogany hair cut just below his ears with a scruffy beard. Bronze skin and clear blue eyes.
"Larry ,not everyone is coming from a poor family you know ". She eductad.
"Okay Mom. The patio will be painted in the morning. She is due to arrive in a two weeks time. "

"For goodness sake boy, you practin' speaking English!". Laughed his father who was standing below holding the ladder he was standing on while screwing the gutter.

The old couple laughed. Finally their son can come out of the haze brought by Morgan. She really crushed him eight years ago ,chosing a rich man over their son.
How shocked they were to hear he is getting married from all the way London. But now they like the idea of welcoming their daughter in law like a gift.

In the evening while eating they heard their dog stand up from under the table to the door to bark. Then they heard the slwo rhythmic sound of wheels on gravel. Then once on the cobblestone pave near the front door they heard someone is hear. The stood up. Larry getting his pump gun. Opening the door ,he saw a woman with a little boy hiding behind her.
She looked at them and then said to the coachman ",Put everything by the stairs k am coming out soon. " Then she walked toward the confused family.

"Hello. Sorry to disturb you. I am Elizabeth, Mrs Hopkins".

"Morgan's mother in law". Larry said putting down the gun. 
She looked at him and nodded. "Can we sit down and talk?". She asked. They nodded pensively.

"I have the most unfortunate news. Morgan passed away due to childbirth in the late hours of yesterday. But before death she confessed that the little boy in the patio is your son. She said she was already pregnant when she married over. My son wanted to kill the little boy yesterday. He has never really liked his son. I guess maybe he knew. But I am reluctant to let this little guy suffer. My son wanted to sell him in order to compensate himself for raising him all these years. That's ridiculous. So I sneaked him over here. I know this is alot to take in, but he has lost his mother. The only father he knew wants to kill him. I want him to forget this nightmare and find a safe haven. This is the chest she let Harry inherit. Larry -Harry we should have seen the signs. "She laughed sadly at the end.

Larry was shocked. Despite moving on, his heart still beat fast at the mention of this woman who was the one and only in his life. Opening the chest she took the letter written Larry. After reading it he counted Harry's birthday and realised there is truth in the matter. He cried. "Why didn't she tell me all along?".

"Sorry. She said her parents just up and packed her to my house. " She sighed and then stood up and said ",I have to go inform Morgan's family about her death and about Harry. Are you married?". She asked carefully.

They all froze ",Oh no. Louisa is on her way here. She is from London she is coming all the way to marry me. Will she think I deceived her?".  Larry said.
"It's alright son. At most we will pay for her to return. " Said his mother.

Mrs Hopkins realised the blunder.
"I can take him to his mother home and not tell him -" she began.
"No. We will not abandon him. I don't have to marry now. I will save money to send Miss King back to London. " He said to his parents.
They nodded. But in their hearts a grudge against Morgan formed. Everytime their son wants to move on for the better ,her shadow appears.

She kissed the little boy and hugged him ",This is your real papa. You will stay here. I will visit you whenever I pass by the county. When you are older you can write to me. If I can't be your grandmother I can be your step grandmother or God granny. Okay. I love you baby boy. Behave and God bless. " She held her handkerchief in tears and walked away without looking back , Harry cried ", Grandmother ! Grandmother don't leave me here!". He ran to hold her dress. She turned around hugged him tight and let go pushed him back and got on the carriage in one go and signalled the coach to leave . Larry ran forward to hold him so that he doesn't run into the horses. The carriage moved forward speedily,the little boy cried , bit Larry's hand and ran after the carriage crying loudly. Larry followed him. In the carriage Mrs Hopkins sobbed into her kerchief. It was so cruel. Life was cruel.

"This is the best for him. It's for the best. I hope this London girl is an angel".

Until the road leaving their farm Harry walked stumbling, falling, crying and despairing. Larry kept following, guarding and getting heart broken.

Harry fell in the middle of the road in sadness. The moon illuminating his immature features full of pain. Larry came cautiously and then picked him up and walked back. Harry didn't fight. He realised he was really alone with strangers. His sons became suppressed and silent. Larry heart was pounding,racing and aching.

It was bound to be an eventful evening.

Author's note

Vote
Comment
Share

24/02/2024
Happy birthday to my cousin Lethabo Ugushanya Israel . Happy six years. God bless.