Chapter 1

Promt 31: "Your mom was an alien." Exactly what a child needs to hear from their father as a bedtime story.

WARNING
[If you're reading this, remember that I tried. Spread the word of the increase in population of the Xliez but do not pronounce the name. Spread the word and spread my story. Remember that I'd tried, but what happens now, will depend entirely on you. I did my part and now you do yours. And DO NOT LET THEM LAND ON EARTH.]

"Is it really that compulsory?" I had asked. Again. Probably for the fifteenth time. "I know I have a test tomorrow but...just one. Please."

"No, my doll." He'd replied. "Not today. But I promise a nice, baked story tomorrow. With all your favourite witches, elves and goblins. How's that?"

I probably should've agreed, but being as stubborn as I was, I refused. "No. I want one story. Now."

That time I'd looked at his stern eyes and had concluded that I needed to change tactics. I had spoken, more softly and carefully, "But, father, I don't care about tests. Tell me a story if you love me." I gently shook his arm. As far as I remember, I didn't mean it to be gentle, I had wanted it to be vigorous but small as I was, a gentle shake was all I could manage.

Caught in a limbo, he had simply shook his head in exasperation. "Clever kid. You're just like your mom, snaring me with your toys." Here, he had associated 'words' with toys, playthings. "Okay, I'll tell you one story but then you have to close your eyes and sleep." He pressured on the 'close your eyes' part because I'd once irritated him beyond no measure that I can sleep with my eyes open.

"Okay."

"So what story should I say?" He'd muttered in monologue but I'd replied anyway. "The one where the cat ran away from her witch!"

"Haven't you heard it like, gazillion times already?" I'd giggled at the word. That time, I had problems pronouncing words like those. "No, I remember the best story!"

"Which one is it?"

"Huh?"

"You do remember or you don't? Because you said, no, you remember it-"

"It's not a grammatical error, young lady. Now lie silently as I start the story." I'd obeyed. It was the last time I ever did.

"Now, your mom," he began and I perked up. I wasn't allowed to talk about her. He got teared up everytime she was mentioned. "She was an alien."

"But father," I'd complained. "I like witches."

"But this is a real story, child."

"Are witches not real?"

"If they are, then they hide very well."

"Please continue with the story." I'd said because I didn't want to be confused and he was confusing me too much.

"Your mother was an alien." He'd started. "Do you what an alien is? An alien is a species who live on another planet-"

"What is a spessies?"

"S-pee-she-s." He explained. "It's a group of similar living beings. Like cats, dogs, humans.."

"So you're saying mum wasn't hooman like us?"

He laughed at my pronunciation and had replied, "No. She wasn't."

"So aliens aren't homan?"

"No, they aren't."

"Then what are they? Cats and dogs?"

"No, my doll. They were a different species. Not human but their brain worked just like a human's. In fact, they were more intelligent." He'd flicked my nose. "Just like you."