Chapter 5

"Are we...are we safe here?" Drix wheezed when he finally found his breath.

"For the time being, yes." I replied curtly. I did not want to be rude but the headaches have become unbearable to the point I had to stop running and sit in silence.

The building had broken down, leaving nothing but rubble in it's wake. No sign of the the three Xliez we had interrogated, or of the other six. Or of Lidwina or the scientists.

Hopefully they're dead. I do not want anyone experimenting on people. But, taking a life...when it was not mine to begin with...

"Hey, I know what that look means. You did the right thing, okay?" His each word, syllable was like a hammer to my mind. "It was either us or them, and I personally do not want to die."

"Do you truly belive that?"

He was silent for a moment before shaking his head, "No."

We were in that position for a long while. We were in the open, just a few buildings down of the headquarters. Any random Xliez, even if minding their own buisness, could find us. I waited till I could ignore my throbbing head. Till it could calm down a little.

"Come on, now." I said, not wanting to stay another minute. "We have to find somewhere to hide."

"And where, if I may ask, have you decided to go?" An old, male voice, complete with the traditional language of Xliez accent.

Both of our heads turned towards him.

"Who are you?" I asked, just as Drix said, "Of course you had to come." His words practically dripped in sarcasm.

However, the man only smiled. "Nice to see you too Hendrix." Then he nodded at me, still keeping his ten feet distance, "I am Lyall, you probably have heard of me."

Lyall...

Yeah, the name was vaguely familiar.

"You had a companion with you..." I muttered. There was someone, and something about doctors and-

"He was one of the scientists who worked with Lidwina to wipe us." Hendrix said tersely. "And I don't think you come in peace. What do you want? Another test subject?"

I may not remember much, but I am sure I have never heard Drix use this tone. Saying he was annoyed will be an understatement.

"To help." He replied, in tone which contrasted highly against Drix's. "I want to help."

"You can not get within ten feet near us if you value your life." I warned, hoping he did not hear my remorse I had shown just moments ago. If it has got Drix worried, I should worry too.

"I have never brought any harm to you." He informed. "I worked on the orders of our Incharge."

"Elaborate." I do not have any patience for this.

"It was my work to ensure you got settled in the country without any harm."

"Is that why there was your name in the list of people who made the memory alteration thing?" He snarled, all weakness from his voide gone. "Drop the act, it's not going to get you anywhere."

"It was not my will as much as it was an order. And I want to atone. Please, give me a chance." His voice was frantic, now speaking to Drix.

"He sounds sorry enough." I said, low enough for only Hendrix to listen.

"That's what he wants us to believe."

I somehow could not believe him. Him, as in Drix.

"Prove it. Prove that you really mean it. Helping us, being forced to do anything, all of it."