Chapter 3

In the beginning, all she felt was a strange sensation of floating, as if she was detached from everything. There was nothing else around her - no smells, no colors, no light or darkness. It was like being surrounded by nothingness, and she couldn't even tell if it was hot or cold.

Gradually, things started to change. Darkness appeared, with tiny dots of light scattered throughout. There were shades of white, yellow, blue, and red. Then, she began to feel something. What had initially been an uncomfortable tingling turned into a painful prickling, like the sensation of cactus spines pressing against her skin all at once.

"She's waking up."

She recognized the voice, but she couldn't figure out how. She didn't have a clear sense of her own identity, let alone who anyone else might be.

As she regained more awareness, the darkness and scattered lights became hazy and eventually started to form recognizable shapes. Startled, she sat up abruptly, narrowly avoiding hitting her head against the person standing over her.

"Welcome back," the person said with a smile. "You had a really close call. We weren't sure if you'd pull through."

"Who are you?" she croaked, her voice raspy from disuse. "And who am I?"

The person in front of her locked eyes with another individual standing nearby, a secondary figure she hadn't noticed until now.

"Don't worry," the second person assured the first, his eyes shining brightly against his dark, elvish features. "It's just a temporary side effect. She'll be completely fine soon enough."

Before she could inquire further, the first person, with tan skin and radiant red eyes, spoke up. "I'm Reu, and this is Lyall. We're doctors. Even though you might not remember it right now, we're actually quite familiar with each other."

"We are?" She felt bewildered, attempting to sit up, but both figures gently urged her to stay down. With a hint of defiance in her voice, she narrowed her eyes and said, "If what you're saying is true, then it should be easy for you to tell me my name."

"Of course," Lyall responded. "You are Adeera, a unique blend of both alien and human lineage."

Before she could even ask another question, a flurry of images flooded her mind. First, she saw a figure with fair skin and dark red eyes, strong yet slender, wearing a coat that resembled a cloak approved only by the Incharges. The figure seemed to be smiling at her, with a warmth akin to that of a caring parent.

Then, an image of a boy her age named Hendrix appeared. He had blue eyes, brown hair, and a fair complexion. She knew he was skilled in combat and often came across as distant.

"Now, now, you had quite an accident. Don't stress yourself, relax. Your lady is taking care of those who harmed you."

***

"Adeera!" A cheerful voice inquired. "How did your exam go today?"

"Neutral." I scrunched up my nose. "Not bad, if I consider the previous one."

I let myself drop on the green chair from exhaustion, mental exhaustion to be more precise. I have been getting these headaches from gods knows how long.

"Eat. You need all the nutrition you can get. Have you see your health lately? You are getting thinner and thinner!"

I chuckled at the exclamation, wondering why I'd thought only mothers did that. "I think I'm fat enough, Lady Lidwina. But, for your satisfaction, I won't pull away."

"Good. Perhaps you could teach something to your brother. Speaking of that, where is that young man?"

I cringed at her choice of words. We are not 'men' but neither are we 'Xliez', my 'brother' and I, that is. Lady Lidwina is a Xliez through and through. And that guy's not my brother.