𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

"If you wanted to visit me at work, an Uber may have been cheaper

"If you wanted to visit me at work, an Uber may have been cheaper." 

ㅤThere was a cocky tone to Zoe's voice. "I'm glad you're okay, but I wish I was able to get a picture. Do you think one of the firefighters got one?"

ㅤ"In your dreams. From what they said it was a close call, I could have been impaled by rebar if I had fallen even a foot to the right." Zoe didn't need to know the whole truth, and a little guilt-tripping never hurt anyone.

ㅤ"Whatever," Zoe muttered. "Sorry, I was in the ICU when they brought you in. My shift ended like 10 minutes ago though so we're good to go."

ㅤJane swung her legs over the side of the bed. "You gotta take this stupid IV out of me." The feeling of needles always made her queasy. "And you get to play guide dog, I don't have my cane."

ㅤZoe scoffed. "Woof." And carefully took the IV out of Jane's arm, taping it down with a cotton ball underneath. "You don't look bad. You have a little scrape on your shoulder and cheek. The bruise from the IV will probably be worse." She checked the sling and then helped Jane stand. "Okay let me drop your chart off and we can go."

ㅤLeading her by the elbow they made their way to the nurses station for discharge. "Hey Zoe, you're off tomorrow right?"

ㅤ"Yes...? Why, do you need to go somewhere?"Zoe said a quiet goodbye to the discharge station as they walked out of the hospital.

ㅤ"Well was hoping to check out the Braille Institute, I heard it's nice. Also," She smiled as they made their way into the parking lot. "I think I want to bring cookies or brownies or something to the station that saved me today"

ㅤ"Oh fun! Can I help you make them?" Zoe stepped forward to open the door for Jane before getting in the other side of the car.

ㅤ"Zoe, I adore you but the day I am willing to eat, or worse let someone else eat your cooking, is the day I have three senses."

ㅤ"Are you sure we are just allowed to walk into a firehouse like this?" Jane and Zoe were on their way into the 118. Zoe carried the container of brownies, Jane's secret recipe of course.

ㅤ"Yeah sure why not?" Zoe led them into the loading bay of the station. "Let me see if I can find us a nice fireman or woman to help us out..." She let go of Jane's elbow while she was assumedly looking around. "Hey, hi! Excuse me, my sister wanted to talk to the team that helped her out yesterday!"

ㅤJane followed her voice and made her way forward, using her cane to ensure didn't run into the giant fire engine next to her.

ㅤ"Yeah of course! You were Jane, right? It's Eddie." A male greeted her.

ㅤ"That's me. Thanks for helping me out the other day. I made-" She gestured to Zoe who shook the metal tin. "Uh, brownies for you guys. To say thank you."