𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Unfortunately, the timing for her trip home was convenient

What wasn't convenient was getting to the airport, but that's what friends were for. Since Zoe was going in for a 20-hour shift, she relied on Buck to get her to the airport. He had suggested getting together early for lunch before her evening flight and she was excited about the outing.

"I think the last time we hung out alone outside of either of one of our apartments was with Christopher on the pier." She mused as they walked downtown.

"But, that wouldn't count as alone?" He asked confusedly, leading them down the sidewalk so she wouldn't have to use her cane. He was one of the few friends she trusted to do this, and he knew how to hold her elbow in the way that gave her the most control over her steps.

"Chris doesn't count, he's my best friend," Jane said matter-of-factly.

"Not me?" he teased.

"I figured Eddie was your best friend, or has your boy crush become official? You two goin' steady?" She smiled innocently and he laughed, not denying it. 

"I like you both equally, I don't choose sides," he said. "Multi-tasking is my specialty."

"False," she held a finger up in disagreement. "You are only good at multitasking when it comes to work or life-and-death experiences. Last week you burnt an egg because you forgot to check on it while you were chopping vegetables."

"What's the good in having a blind friend if you still manage to know all the mistakes I make?" He lamented.

"My baking chops and quick wit?" she offered as he slowed them to a stop in front of the diner they were walking to, opening the door for her. All day breakfast was their guilty pleasure. With the crazy hours he worked his 'breakfast' often fell at weird times of day; hence, all-day breakfast diners.

They were seated and got their orders before continuing the conversation from the morning.

"It's a work trip?" He asked sliding over half of his pancakes for her and taking half of her waffles for himself. It had become a tradition for them even when Christopher wasn't with them.

"Yeah so our headquarters are only a few minutes from where I grew up, it's where I started with the company. My job right now is with a specific school and its students but our company also has a main location where we provide training and general outreach to all of our schools." She carefully cut her pancakes up. "Syrup?" She gestured for him to do it for her, and he did, pouring enough so that she wouldn't make him put more later, a bad habit of hers. "This is just our yearly meeting for all of our placed counselors, to check in and get our review."

"Do they pay for all this travel? I know you'd go either way, it's so close to home for you, it's worth it," he added, and she nodded in agreement.

"Only the way there is paid for. I'm paying for the flight back since I want to stay a little longer to spend time at home. I'm so excited to visit my parents, they are the best people I know." Jane smiled, thinking about the fact she would get to be with both of her parents tomorrow.