𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Jane wanted one thing: To avoid Evan Buckley

The last few days have been...awkward. Jane skipped out on wine night at Maddie's, trying to convince the two nurses that she didn't want to drink with a concussion, and not that she was hiding a deep dark secret.

In so this week's wine night became an event for Maddie, Zoe...and Chimney, as he filled in the missing spot with glee, happy to be included as 'one of the girls'. Maddie didn't buy Jane's story, however, and promptly started investigating.

"What do you mean she missed dinner?" She asked Eddie on the other line of the phone. She had the phone on speaker, sitting on the coffee table between Zoe, Chimney, and her.

"I don't know, it's totally out of character. Jane normally joins us for dinner whenever my tia makes empanadas, it's her favorite. The last time I saw her was when she showed up to play games with us, but then Buck bailed on that." Eddie's voice was hushed, as he ducked into his room to talk to the three adults, not wanting Chris or Carla to hear their scheming.

Chimney took a sip of wine, eyebrows raised as he was deeply intrigued by this drama. "Do you think they're both still shaken up from the tsunami?" Zoe offered.

"Maybe...and Buck starts his new job this week. So hopefully once things settle, they can get back to normal. Should we try to set up a group thing? Try and force them to be in the same room?"

"We can try that...I wish she would just talk to me, it's been so...tense lately. With everything that happened last wine night..." Maddie rubbed the blonde's back softly, consoling her. "And then this freak natural disaster, she's completely shut everyone out."

"What does she even do all day? Schools not in session, she's not working." Chim offered with surprising insight.

"She's been volunteering with an at-risk youth group downtown," Zoe clarified. "Eddie, Buck hasn't said anything at all? He's been chasing after her like a lost puppy all year, and now they're both single, sharing a traumatic event, and not talking? It's suspicious, something happened there. Even if we pause on the match-making, they are better together. Jane has a friend that isn't her sister, and Buck has a positive female role model." She shook her head and laughed. "I can't believe I'm saying that."

"Wait, wait, wait, back it up. Single? Why does that matter, didn't she 'swear off men' or whatever?"

Zoe was quiet for a minute, taking a longer sip of wine. Chimney and Maddie looked at her expectantly. "Well?" They urged impatiently.

Zoe rolled her eyes at the peanut gallery on the couch. "She uses a virtual assistant for her phone, so sometimes I can hear what she's doing. It's not very subtle without headphones...I think she may have downloaded a dating app." She whispered the last part.

"What?"

"What!?"

"Shit..." Chimney coughed on some of his wine and, set the glass down.