𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

"If I planned on a roommate, I would've swung for a two-bedroom

"If I planned on a roommate, I would've swung for a two-bedroom."

Buck set a steaming mug of coffee in front of the couch. Jane and her endless bedhead sat up slowly and groaned. She had been crashing on Buck's couch for a week now. She and Zoe have had blows like this before, and unfortunately, share the same penchant for stubbornness.

She groaned and reached for the hot coffee. "Yeah...sorry I'm squatting here." She took a sip and leaned back. Buck had learned her coffee preference and put her required amount of 'metric fuckton' of sugar in her mug. "She just really hurt me, Evan. She has never treated me like a burden so even slightly entertaining Chase was such a betrayal."

"Jane, trust me, I know. You've been talking about it all week. Maybe it's time to talk about it, with Zoe?" Buck said hesitantly. "Not that I don't love having you over here Reynolds, but Ali comes back into town this weekend, and it's kinda a buzzkill when your friend is sleeping below the bedroom in your open-air loft apartment."

"I'm honored I get the title of friend, so I'll ignore the buzzkill comment." Jane stood and stretched slowly. "This isn't even the worst we've fought before. However, I will agree to go back, only if the apartment is a Chase-free zone. Or I'll get my own place." Jane grabbed her sweater that had been balled up at the foot of the couch and cringed. Okay, maybe she vegged out a little too hard at Buck's apartment.

"If she truly likes him this much, you're not going to be able to avoid him forever." Buck offered with surprising wisdom. Jane stuck her tongue out and stood to grab her bag, work started for her in an hour and she needed to get ready.

"Stop making sense, it's weirding me out to hear you so logical." Jane jested before heading to the bathroom to get changed and fix her bedhead.

Jane dropped her bag at the foot of the door and called out into the apartment. "...Zoe?" No response. She reached for her phone and listened to the calendar being read off to her. Zoe had an on-call shift so she must have been called in. Jane kicked her shoes off and made her way to the living room.

As much as she loved her job, being around kids, especially those with emotional disturbances, could tucker her out. She fell onto the couch and this time it was her own. She needed to go over case notes, so Jane pulled out her computer and made sure her Braille reader was plugged in. It allowed her to review notes, without having to listen to the screenreader. She turned on the news as background noise, which helped when she worked. Jane was also immensely interested in the current mayhem of the city as she had heard there was some bomber on the loose right now. If anyone had worse luck than her, it was the city of L.A. She cracked her knuckles and dove into her case file.

Her fingers were hovered over the braille board, frozen. She had been reading for about 10 minutes when the news report made her stop in her tracks. Someone blew a bomb that flipped a 118 engine and a firefighter was trapped beneath it. Jane shut her laptop and leaned in, listening intently, not even hearing the door open and close.