Be Real

Liam sits at his desk where his laptop is and browses the races coming up near him. Even though he just went to one, he's already eager about the next one. As he surfs the schedule, his mom gently knocks on his doorway.

Ava: Liam, what are you doing? It's late. You have work tomorrow you need to sleep chérie.

Liam: I know je suis désolé (I'm sorry). Just give me a minute, okay?

Ava gets curious and sees what Liam is looking at and sees his screen and gets visibly upset

Ava: allez (come on)! Why are you looking at more races fils(son)?

Liam: quoi (what)?! I want to see the upcoming races.

Ava: non non non (no no no). You can't sacrifice your sleep and responsibilities for this obsession, Liam. You're older now you're no longer an enfant (child). You have to focus on your future. You have to start looking for a real career mon fils (my son).

Liam looks at his mom upset and annoyed. She always talks about this almost every day it's starting to get annoying.

Liam: Je sais, je sais (I know, I know). It's not an obsession, though, mom. It's my dream I'll do whatever I can to accomplish it, maman (mom).

Ava: But what if it doesn't work? Alors quoi (then what)?

Liam stops looking at his screen and looks at his mom with a serious face.

Liam: What? Do you not believe in me or something?

Ava face palms

Ava: ne dis pas ça(do not say that)! It's not that I don't believe in you, Liam. I just want what's best for you. I want you to have an amazing future. Racing is too risky. It's not set in stone, Liam.

Liam sighs

Liam: I know, mom. It's just please. Be there for me. I know what I want is unrealistic for most. But, I feel like I can do it je peux réussir (I can succeed). I have to chase it grand-pére (grandfather) always said the only obstacle to accomplishing your goals is you. If i quit, I won't ever succeed. I have to watch races so I can learn maman (mom). I know you worry, but please try to understand.

Ava hesitates but smiles.

Ava: Okay, amour (love). I'll hear you out. But please, pour moi (in my opinion), explore some more options, okay? Now go to sleep you need rest.

Ava kisses Liam on his forehead

Liam: I will maman (mom). Bonne nuit (good night).

Ava: Good night. Je vouis aime (I love you).

Liam: Love you too.

Ava walks out of his room and slides his door shut. Liam puts his laptop down and goes to close his window but sees a sports car fly down a road near his house. He smiles at it and speaks to himself.

Liam: sympa (nice) Supra!

The Supra downshifts in the distance as it reaches a stop sign. It's turbo fluttering and letting out a single pop with a flame.

Liam: Cool backfire.

Liam watches the supra turn and quickly accelerate with a roaring and whirring noise as it upshifts, causing another flutter to happen as it pops loudly and speeds off in the distance. As Liam looks at it, he starts to think about the car scene in Montreal. He's heard it's actually pretty big, especially with all the roads near Mount Royal. He'd love to see a car meet one day. He's never been a big fan of street racing. He's more of a fan of circuit racing. However, he still has that respect for it even though he really wouldn't like to get caught and get his car impounded. He could never live if his Veloster N was taken from him. Liam smiles as he turns away from the big window and clicks a button which causes a small whirring sound to start as blinds slowly fall from the top of the window and slowly cover it making his room darker and easier to sleep in. Liam takes his shirt off, revealing a surprisingly toned body but not a crazy one. He may be a car nerd, but he doesn't lack the gains like most nerds. He snuggles in bed and looks at his ceiling, starting to really think about the street scene for once. He does wish he could explore it more, but he really does know where to start. He can't just walk out at night and see street racers tearing the Montreal streets up late at night he has work to do and his boss wouldn't really like him coming to work tired and beat up. He likes his job at the car wash. He gets to see so many nice cars like Miatas, Mustangs, WRX's, and so much more. How could a car guy not like being around cars all day? Before Liam knows it, he's fallen asleep and prepares for tomorrow. He hopes tomorrow he'll see some more cool cars maybe even exotics but he knows those are rare in Montreal considering the heavy weather they sometimes get which can make it harder to maintain an expensive car in harsh weather. The two things just don't really mix.

Liam drifts off to a deep sleep, not realizing what's coming his way. He doesn't realize that tomorrow is the day his life makes a big 180 and leads him to his destined path.....the path of becoming one of the best racers in the world and also one of the best street racers....

* * * * *
Meanwhile, in a smaller part of Montreal, a girl is seen in her room with posters on her wall detailing all types of cars: Mustangs, Lancer Evos, BMW's, and a bunch more.

A distant voice calls to her as she looks at her phone watching car tik toks.

Distant voice: Hey! Hope! Don't forget to get your car washed tomorrow! I still have that coupon! Anyway, I'm going to sleep see you tomorrow honey!

Hope: Night, Dad!

A door is heard shutting in the distance, and Hope continues scrolling through tik tok as the camera rolls out of her window, revealing a decent sized house and 2 nice cars. A Honda Civic Type R and a Kia Stinger GT as the moon reveals itself from behind a cloud in the night sky...