𝐯𝐢. picking up pals on the css birmingham

STRENGTH
━━ act two, chapter six.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

NABI HADN'T EVEN REALISED SHE WAS CRYING UNTIL SHE OPENED HER EYES. She tried to wipe them away, but they kept streaming down her face. Nabi mumbled, like she felt guilty about it, "I never remembered her last words."

   "It isn't your fault, Nabi." Hebe said.

She knew it wasn't her fault. Nabi was too young — they'd taken her mother away too soon. Yet, her not remembering emphasised just how little she was, and that made it all the more painful.

"Your mother never forgave me," Hebe said as she removed her hand from Nabi's shoulder, "I truly do apologise."

Nabi didn't know what to say, so she just shook her head and continued to cry. Now what? The fates would snap her string in a few years, give or take? It was all so unfair.

   Hebe sighed, "Please don't be angry at your parents, either. Thanatos was afraid he'd put you in further harm if he'd claimed you sooner, and your mother—"

   "I know." Nabi said. She wanted her to stop talking. Hebe's words weren't any comfort to her.

   Of course, as a child, she cried over missing her mother a lot. Though Nabi grew, and her memories grew more hazy — she couldn't mourn someone she hadn't really known. But after seeing what she was like, of what could've been, Nabi didn't want anything more in her life than to be scooped into her mother's arms; to live safely and happily together as a family.

   "The Golden Fleece," Nabi muttered, "we're on a quest for it."

   Hebe nodded. "Yes, your friend has made work of the Caledonian Boar. I sense it's no longer trampling on my forest's flowers."

   "Then, can't the Golden Fleece cure me? It's supposed to have healing powers, right?" Nabi asked.

   "You would have to be exposed to it at all times, since the curse grows stronger as you grow older and more powerful." Hebe reminded her, "Knowing the person you are, you'd rather save the camp than keep it for yourself."

   Nabi bit her lip. She couldn't deny it, instead she said, "So... there's no other way to get around it?"

"You saw how Mika and Thanatos tried." Hebe gave her a sympathetic look, getting up to walk over to the fountain. "It's unpreventable."

Nabi watched as a vial magically appeared in her hands, and she dipped it into the fountain to fill it up with water. Looking at it closer, the water had a faint white glow. Nabi asked, "What are you doing?"

"Here." Hebe gently took Nabi's hand to lift her up from the ground, then placed the vial in her palm, "Water from the Fountain of Youth will give you my blessing — you'll be twice as agile and swift with your movements, and it heals you... think if it as ambrosia and nectar but tenfold."

"Thank you." Nabi said, putting it in her pocket.

   Hebe murmured, "I hope it'll be effective in a time of need. For now, hold on to it close."

   "Nabi!"

   Hebe and Nabi both turned to the sound. They could hear someone running through the forest, yelling Nabi's name with such panic that their voice sounded hoarse. Nabi said, "That's Clarisse."

The garden around them seemed to flicker out of existence, slowly fading away.

"I must go." Hebe said, "Those I do not wish to, are unable to enter the garden—if everyone knew of the fountain's existence, people from all over the world would seek out its benefits."