CHAPTER II

"You put up your defenses when you leave. You leave because you're certain of who you want to be."

Icarus, Bastille

➽─────────➤

"I can't wait to marry you!" Xene shouts from the top of his boat. The widest smile spreads across his face as he sits on one of the mass poles above. Since Kore agreed to come with him, his feet have felt light, and his heartbeat has a strong flutter to it.

Kore giggles from the deck. A hand shields the sun from her eyes as she looks up at Xene. "I just met you," she tells him once again but is delighted at his statement. Her eyes never leave Xene's body as he climbs back down the pole. He jumps off the lowest part and rushes towards Kore. Kore's nose fills with Xene's natural scent of sea salt and sunshine as he embraces her in a hug. His arms squeeze the small of her back tighter to him before he picks her up and spins her around.

Kore squeals while being danced around by the energetic man. Between the tangles of fingers and the exchanging of smiles, love is present between the young couple. Leaving the island was the best decision she had ever made. It's like her world is filled with more colors now. Xene slows them down until Kore is standing right in front of him. She beams while he lets go of her hands to hold her face. He stroked her rosy cheeks lightly, taking a moment to notice the freckles on her tanned skin.

"I just," Xene scoffs in disbelief at the marvelous girl in his hands, "I just genuinely don't know why my brain goes blank when I look at you. I think I'm going crazy." Kore rolls her eyes but gently strokes Xene's arms. Xene might be crazy, impulsive, and a little too beautiful, but she wouldn't be anywhere else. Standing on a sunny ship deck with wind in her hair and a lovely boy to keep her company feels like a fairytale.

"You are crazy," Kore tells him before glancing at his face to see his reaction. He pauses for a second and takes a hand off her to put on his chest in shock. His eyebrows raise, and his mouth pops open. Kore gives him a devilish grin to follow up on her statement.

"I'll show you crazy." Xene quickly bends down to grab Kore by her waist. He lifts her up and onto his shoulder. Kore smacks his back as he holds onto her legs while moving across the ship. She orders him to put her down, but Xene ignores her pleas. He makes it to the end of his ship to place Kore on a wooden lounge chair. She bounces onto plushy cushions before fixing her white sundress. Xene pulls another chair up to hers.

"You are crazy!" Kore repeats, but this time with light visible in her eyes. She hits his shoulder one last time before settling down in her chair. Her gaze goes out to the calm, blue ocean that stretches for miles. Xene joins her company. They sit together while resting under the warm sun.

After some silence, Kore breaks it. The same thought has been circling her head, and even though she has been with Xene for over a few days, it still hasn't left her. "Do you think Claypso is mad at me? It was unfair to leave without saying anything." Images of a furious Calypso have filled Kore's nightmares, and a pang of worry circles her heart. Xene turns towards her and shakes his head slowly.

"You shouldn't worry about that," he assures her. "We are miles away from that island. You are with me, and we'll have a great life together." Kore nods and decides to drop the subject. She has brought it up a few times, and every time, Xene seems to make her feel worse. Maybe because she should worry about things like that. But Xene is also right, so Kore pushes her dark feelings away again.

Xene speaks again, "I sailed to Ogygia, your island, by myself just to find a lovely woman like you. Now that I have you, I won't let anyone take you away from me. Even if a fly were to nip on your perfect skin, it would be slain. Do you hear me? I am for you, and you are for me."