CHAPTER VII

Something bad is 'bout to happen to me. I don't know it, but I feel it coming. Might be so sad, might leave my nose running. I just hope she don't wanna leave me. Don't you give me up, please don't give up. Honey, I belong with you, and only you, baby

-Steve Lacy

➽─────────➤

Colorful birds chirp on the edge of the lake. The sun sets low until a warm light covers the scenery. From under the shade of a grand gazebo, Kore and Cupid dine together. The gorgeous views from Mount Olympus surround them. But all Kore can concentrate on is Cupid.

"Is your salad not good?" Cupid asks concerned about why this girl is only staring and not eating. He's starting to feel self-conscious when he eats his food.

"It's great."

Cupid's face twists in confusion. Kore hasn't touched it once. The whole night has been so difficult with her. Other girls Cupid has been with have at least engaged in conversation. He honestly can't wait to get rid of her, so tonight he has decided to do something about it.

"Look, Kore, I've been enjoying our time together," before Cupid can finish his sentence, Kore's breathy voice interrupts.

Her head goes up and down rapidly in agreement. "Oh! Me too! I can't wait to spend my whole life with you. Did you know I'm immortal? That means we can be together forever."

Cupid blanks. The first time she rants to him, she shares that information. Cupid thought this girl was mortal.

"You are," Cupid tries to comprehend what she just said, "You are immortal?"

Kore gives another passionate nod. "Blessed from calypso. I remember I used to live with her. I guess that changed when I met you. I can't recall how that happened, but that doesn't matter." Kore gives an innocent smile.

Cupid takes a moment to shove another fork full of salad into his mouth. Kore never takes her eyes off of him when he chews. He swears she never blinks, and it's scaring him.

Kore keeps talking in the meantime. Cupid is starting to realize that he likes the quiet Kore better.

"Even though I haven't been on the island for a while, I still know I'm immortal. You know, if that gets taken away, then I'll die." The conversation goes silent after that.

A nearby servant swoops into the gazebo to refill the glasses of wine. Cupid immediately chugs his. He needs to bring up his plan to Kore at one point tonight.

"Your dishes will be out shortly," the maiden announces. "Careful on that wine, Cupid. I still remember what happened last week." She shoots him a wink before leaving.

Kore's stare is taken off Cupid to follow the servant girl. She doesn't look back until she is fully gone. "I don't like how she talked to you," Kore tells Cupid.

Oh great. Now she's being protective? Cupid pleads for this night to go by quickly. Maybe he can claim to get hot and jump into the lake. But he still needs to tell Kore about something.

Cupid clears his throat. "She was just someone I used to know," he says innocently. It's true, but because of the spell put on Kore, she ignores all the facts that Cupid is the God of Love, and therefore, dates around a lot.

Kore's eyebrows scrunch together quickly before letting her face go calm. It's probably nothing. For the first time, she picks up a fork to eat her salad. The colorful taste fills her mouth, and for once, her thoughts aren't on Cupid.

"I need to talk to you about something," Cupid blurts out. He planned on being more chill with his approach.

Kore gives him a nod while being silent from chewing her food.