CHAPTER IV

Screaming the name of a foreigner's God. The purest expression of grief. Wondering who I copy. Mustering some tender charm. She feels no control of her body. She feels no safety in my armsI've no language left to say it. But all I do is quake to her. Breaking if I try convey it. The broken love I make to her

➽─────────➤

It's been three whole months of peace and happiness since leaving the island owned by Calypso. Kore has convinced herself that she is finally free from Calypso's and Cupid's chokehold. As the days pass, Kore's anxiety fades away as it is replaced by Xene's golden life he has chosen to share with her.

The couple's days have been filled with busy mornings including fruit picking and laughs, followed by lazy afternoons. Wedding planning has also been a big thing in their lives. Xene's wealth had promised a wedding with no limitations, and Kore took this literally. The downstairs living room had been filled with samples of color palettes and menu designs. The living room eventually came back to its regular appearance, as Kore's and Xene's wedding happens today.

The air is warm. The crowds are lively at the beach's edge. The waves remain calm in contrast to the sands filled with groups of friends and families. Xene is chatting with his chosen men to accompany him, while Kore remains in the background, getting prepared for the special day.

Small tears start to form in Kore's eyes as they run over the beautiful white dress that hangs over her body. It's specially made by Xene's mother who did a breathtaking job at designing it. One of Kore's bridesmaids, and one of Xene's sisters, tells Kore not to cry or else she will ruin her makeup. Kore's attention never leaves her in the mirror. She had never thought she would participate in a wedding before, let alone have her wedding.

Her bridesmaids leave her to take their place at the alter, leaving Kore alone to herself for a few minutes. Her heart rate pounds as she imagines walking down the aisle. How her hair will flow perfectly in the wind as she ignores everyone else and only looks at Xene. Kore waves her hands excitingly to herself as she waits for her cue.

"You're making a mistake," a dark voice comes from the door behind Kore. She jumps slightly, and her hand goes flying to her chest. She hadn't heard anyone come in. Though, everyone should be outside and waiting for her. Kore flies around to see who has the nerve to interrupt her on her big day.

It was him. Not Xene or anyone she had invited to her wedding. But him. Cupid.

Kore's breath gets stuck in her throat as Cupid stares back at her. His dark eyes stare into her with so much intensity, but the rest of his expression looks careless. Almost as careless as his outfit, which looks like he tried to dress for a human wedding, but is too much of an actual Greek God to achieve looking normal. The giant white wings behind him don't help.

"What are you doing here? You need to leave... Immediately," Kore gets her voice back and growls at God to leave her alone. Her fists grip tightly to her white dress around her. Cupid has not visited her for the past months, and he chooses now to visit her. Kore is outraged and ready to fight a God.

"Calm down, woman." Cupid's mouth quirks up as his shoulder goes to lean against the door frame. He watches with amusement, knowing that he has picked the perfect time to do his job. Cupid's been watching Kore's life from a distance for a while. He had convinced himself it was for professional reasons only, but couldn't help but grow an attachment to visiting her. He's the God of love, can you blame him?

Kore's mouth tightens to a line. She wants to scream, but she doesn't need anyone coming to find her. She's about to go out and walk down the aisle. Cupid doesn't stand a chance against the bride's rage. Kore storms towards Cupid and slams her fists straight into his chest. He moves away from the door frame and Kore storms past him to get to her position.