Another Chance (Pt 2)

The room was strewn with items of a wide array. Photos, clothes, books, magazines, and empty boxes littered the space. The white bed frame was coveted on end by the oversized blanket, while the other hung worn, old clothes. Next to the bed, the desk was sprawled with papers, pens, and even a dusted green recipe book. The open window let in cool air, parting the light yellow and red curtains as the door opened.

The tall, brunet collapsed on her chair, feeling fatigued as she kicked the door, which shut with a "click". Outside, there could be heard the sounds of her various teammates from Snowball's loud voice yelling about how "wimpish" and "too easy" their challenge had been. "I HATE GUESSING MY FREINDS!!!" Fanny yelled, followed by an exalted cheer of support from Lightning.

She groaned from the noise and pulled out some fluffed white head phones from under her desk, carefull not to knock over the small, red basket bin. Fiddling with her hair, Match untied her red scrunchie hair band. She winced in pain as it snagged, wishing those familiar thin yet gentle hands could at least guide hers to get herself untangled. Sliding the frazzled red band off, she put on her headphones and eased up, the noise outside defeaned. She leaned back in her chair as she pulled the lever, her legs swaying as she played back the challenge's events. 

Second guessing people close to her would've been easy for her before. It was something she was accustomed to. Yet, the whole feeling that challenge had given her wasn't expected. She sighed in relief that Pin's cover had been blown. Though unable to comprehend it, she hated the idea of not trusting them. Somehow, even possibly pointing a finger at loudmouth, pea brained S.B. seemed inconceivable.

"Ugh. Get like, a grip on yourself Match." she spoke to herself, frustrated yet unsure. Her mind raced with guilt and anger at failing to realise the flaw in her and Pencil's strategy. and how much it hurt their friends. Usually, when she was unable to cope with anything going on at a time or in a place, Pencil would be there to hep her out. Pencil could give her support. Pencil would be her mantle and her best freind.

But Pencil wasn't there. She had been eliminated. All because of...

"Me.".

Silence permeated through the room, as Match drowned in her flurry of thoughts. How stupid she was to have not realised such strategies that hurt their friends rarely worked. If bubble hadn't said anything that day, she may have been eliminated before the 11th challenge. The only possible upside she could see with that was she'd be with Pencil once again. Where ever she and the other eliminated contestants had gone. Yet, that didn't sound like the greatest risk over reward chance.

The door creaked open a little, yet Match didn't budge. She heard the nervous whisper as a familiar shy, usually quiet toned person spoke.

"H...Hey Match. Listen I'm....I'm sorry for what I said to you....last episode. I...didn't mean to hurt you its just..." Bubble mumbled, carefully stepping over a worn pair of green sweatpants and a wrinkled fashion magazine. Match took off her headphones and put them on the desk with a thud as she sighed. She sat up, still facing the same direction as she spoke in a warm yet neutral tone.

"No Bubble. You...you don't need to apologize." she said, turning to face her. Bubble looked away, unsure of what to say. "If anything....I should be apologizing to you." she added, looking at her metallic freind.

"Huh?" she responded, confused.

"Bubble I'm.....I'm sorry for what we...I...did to you." she said sincerely, moving her chair closer t be eye level with her freind. "I'm....I'm sorry I didn't try help you, or even listen to you in bfb 1. I'm.....I'm sorry for how I acted in episode 7 and how I treated you.". A tear ran down Bubble's face as she had no words. "And....I'm sorry I didn't try to help....not as a leader...but as your freind....earlier.".

Silence filled the space as Match got up, reaching a hand out to hold freind. "I understand if....you can't forgive me yet. But.....I'm hoping to try." she said, hopefully as she looked on at the short, metal sphere. Her voice had none of it's usual sass or confidence. No witty charm. Just the nectar sweet tone of Mitchell, "Match" McConnel.

Bubble gripped the hand as she hugged her old freind by the waist, letting out a pent up sob. Match was taken aback by her friend's quick acceptance but eased as she wrapped her hands around her. The curtains stood still, wind blew no more as Bubble's sobs broke their standing silence.

They parted as Match looked down, using her hand to wipe the tears off the blue haired girl's cheek. She cupped her face as she spoke. "Hey, there's no need to cry for it. I'll be here for you and you'll be here for me. Alliance till end?" she asked, giving a hand.

"Alliance till end." Bubble weakly responded, giving her own palm. She smiled weak yet joyful, her eyes still slightly wet yet sparkling, like the day they had formed the alliance. "O...Oh sorry I gotta go." She said as she began walking out, still cheery. "Bye Match." she waved, leaving the room, feeling a load lifted off her shoulder. Match waved back, feeling un explainable happiness at her friend's reaction and also how quick she'd accepted her again. She sat back in her chair, squealing in delight in a way she hadn't felt since first meeting her and Pencil.

Pencil....

Match picked up a framed photo off her desk. One from their bfdia days. Within the pink and white frame were the original free smarter's. Bubble, on the left, was cheery, if a little unsure looking. Book and Ice Cube were sitting behind Ruby, their faces obscured by her large, excited one. Her eyes glistened with happiness as she sat on the worn blue wood bench. Next to her, Match found herself, sitting. Her hair let down and dyed crimson red, her legs stretched in an uncaring manner, her eyes sparkling but pale.

Then her focus shifted to the taller one next to her. Her yellow shirt hugged her waist and arms, her red hat sitting at an angle on her dirty blond hair. She had an arm around Match's neck and another holding a milk shake (though she wasn't sure still where Pencil had gotten it.). Everyone in the photo looked happy, even the usually shy and vengeful Icy.

"Where did all go wrong...?" she mumbled, focus fixed on Pencil. How had their fun freind group of a team turned into such a toxic nightmare? Looking back from Bfdia to now, it frightened her how much she'd changed. How much they'd change.

"Pence Pence...".

Maybe her best freind had unknowingly rubbed off on her in worse ways then she could've imagined. Match always looked up to Pencil. It made sense. She was the one leading the team while Match sat in the rusty, dark TLC. She had the experience so Match naturally drew the conclusion that her form of leadership, whatever it may be, was the right one. And who was she to judge? Her, Match, always getting voted out, never once leading the team, against the natural leading figure, Pencil?

Match sighed as she put the photo down. She didn't want to think about bfdi. She didn't want to think about Bfdia. Heck, she didn't even want to think about Pencil. Closing her eyes, she wondered if she had what it took to be a team leader now. What if her efforts to help her team failed? What if she came off as over bearing or too mean? Would she get eliminated again?

Making up her mind, she grabbed her phone from her desk and a pair of scrappy, tangled black earphones. What she needed right now a walk and some fresh air. Away from everything, just alone. Match grabbed a blue scrunchie head band and did her hair, feeling the tugs as she bundled it together. Without much thought to spare her already cluttered mind, she made for the exit, still remembering what Pin had said about Book.