Chapter 2- The Hunter

Snow started to fall from the sky, moving like feathers would in the wind. However, he remained crouched and still behind the leafless tree. He could not afford to move. A single sound would scare away the deer grazing on what little grass stubbornly sprung up through the snow. After waiting for hours, he finally found a large enough prey that will sustain him for the next two weeks. He watched as the small wings on its back fluttered as it happily filled its stomach. He did not like doing this, but it was a necessity.

He raised his bow and pointed the arrow at the creature. He held still, waiting for the deer's side to face towards him. He took a deep breath. The deer turned. Loose, he thought.

Remember. Do not prolong its misery, his brother's voice reminded him. The arrow flew through the air. Blood sprayed as the arrow pierced its neck. Small red drops fell around the slumped body of the deer, creating tiny red flowers on the pristine white snow. It lay there for a moment, crying in pain, before quickly stilling.

He stepped out of the shadows of the trees. As he made his way over, the tiny wings on the dead deer's back glowed and broke into glitters of light. The wind blew and carried the little lights away from the body. Kneeling with one knee on the snow, he placed his hand on the creature and bowed his head.

"Bless your soul dear offspring of nature," he said. "May you, find peace in our Lord's realm." He opened his eyes and spoke once more, out of prayer. "I'm sorry. I wouldn't be doing this if I don't need to."

Prayer done, he finally allowed himself to feel how exhausted he was. He had been lying in the snow since that morning, waiting for much bigger prey than the rabbits that hung on his belt. With a groan, he slung the young buck over his strong and broad shoulders. He threaded up-slope, out of Gelun's leafless forest.

He sighed in relief when he saw the path down the hill which would lead him home. He strode down the hill, relishing the sight of light fluttering snow slowly covering the leafless forest in a layer of white. He felt a little of his exhaustion leave him. About half an hour of walking on the vast expanse of snow, he saw the small rundown wooden cottage that belonged to him. With a small smile, he increased his pace until he finally reached his home.

"I'm home," he said. Although he knew no one would reply, he never stopped saying it.

He dropped the deer next to the rickety porch, along with the belt with rabbits. Looking up at the sky, he noticed the hues of red and oranges coming from the slowly setting sun. It would be night soon, and he still had to finish dressing his game. Just a little more, and you can sleep, he thought.

--------

When the task was done, he went back inside. He had a quick dinner of soup and jerky, before taking a bath. Donned in a thick wool shirt and comfortable big trousers he made sure to add more wood to his fireplace. Warmth immediately spread throughout his home.

He then lit the lamp, chasing away a bit of the darkness as night swallowed the whole Arktis Skyland. He stood next to his bed as he watched the flames flicker, filling his home with light. He set it down on a large table, taking care to place it as far away from the piles of thick books he finished reading. Once he picked up the discarded clothes on the floor and threw them at the laundry bin, he sat on his bed. He released all the tension and strength on his muscles and fell back with his head nestled on his pillow.

He pulled the furs to his neck, and tucked himself in. However, he only ended up staring at the ceiling, watching the light from the lamp bouncing off it. A sigh escaped his lips soon after.

"Another sleepless night for me," he muttered. He got up, picked up his coat and went out. Spotting his usual spot on the porch steps, he sat down and leaned against a wooden post. Staring out his front yard, he noticed the light of the twin moons and stars shining down on the snow causing it to glimmer. He stared at the sight, slowly loosing himself in the serenity of the surroundings. A small smile formed on his lips.

Soon, an image of a little boy no more than 10 appeared before him. The boy played and rolled on the snow with a much older boy. Loud cheerful laughter resounded his mind from the two figures.

The image shifted to one where the older boy was teaching the little kid how to use a bow and arrow. He took note of the pride in the older boy's eyes as the little boy managed to hit the target on his first try.

The image shifted again, this time the older boy was trying to scold the little boy for using his knees as target practice. He laughed. He knew that the little boy was laughing inside and the teary-eyed and sorry look on his little face was not genuine at all.

The scene disappeared, and a new image appeared. His breath hitched. The older boy lay on the bed, weak and covered in red boils. He smiled as he held the hand of the crying little boy.

"Don't cry when I'm gone, Alec," he said. "I'm sorry that big brother won't be with you."

The little one cried harder.

"When an opportunity comes to leave this place, do not hesitate," the older boy said.

Alec snapped out of his thoughts. Finding himself alone under the glow of the twin moons once more.

He felt a tear role down his cheek, and he let it fall. Alec looked up at the sky and gave small pained smile. "I miss you, Alen."

--------

So, if you can't tell, I made some changes and added more scenes. If it hurt you guys the first time, I'll make it hurt even more now HAHAHAHAHA.