Chapter 9-Joining the Team

Alec placed the last Alweya flower and stepped back to take in the sight of blue and white flowers surrounding Crimson's curled body on top of the pyre. Behind him, Gael Fenrin, Kreis Hildegen, and their draes Iris and Asher stood solemnly. Kreis Hildegen's subordinates stood further back next to the tree line, standing guard over the area. The thief had managed to escape them by jumping over the cliff. Everyone was on high alert. Alec was quietly seething in rage.

"Thank you for helping me set up the pyre," he said to the two men. The two only nodded, probably knowing that he did not want them to reply. He turned back to the pyre and picked up the burning torch near his feet. Eyes red from crying and lack of sleep from last night, he stared at Crimson's body one last time. With the blood gone, and the hole covered by a crown of Alweyas, the drae looked like he had just fallen asleep. Alec could almost imagine his friend opening one eye, to give him a glance that indicated that he was hungry. Still, Alec knew better. He took a deep breath and threw the torch onto the pyre. Soon enough, the flames spread to the flowers and wood, before engulfing Crimson's body.

Alec did not say anything. He did not cry. He had said all he needed to say and shed all the tears he had last night. Crimson would not want him to be sad. The drae had been clingy and purposely did silly things when he felt that Alec was feeling down about something. It was Crimson's way of cheering him up. Alec gave a pained smile at the memory.

He was so engrossed in watching the flames that he was startled when a nudge came from his back and his hand. When he turned, he found the black drae, Asher, and the white drae, Iris, standing on either side of him. They placed the tip of their snouts and nuzzled his chest. Unable to resist, he put his arms around them as much as he could and pulled them closer. He thought he had no more tears left, but he was still tearing up at the comfort the two draes provided.

"Thank you," he whispered to them. He turned back to the pyre to continue his farewell. The only difference is that he had two comforting presences by his side.

------

With slow steps, he walked to the Edge. He walked, careful not to drop the urn he held in his arms. Once he stood at a spot where he could see the endless clouds of the Infinite Sky, he opened the urn.

"Goodbye, Crimson," Alec said. With that, he turned the urn over and watched as the wind carried the ashes over the clouds. When it was far enough away, the ash turned into motes of silver light that flitted over the clouds before flying higher into the sky. Soon enough, the motes of light had disappeared and Crimson now only lived on in his memories. He stood there for a while before two growls and a tug at his coat got his attention. He climbed down the rocks, still holding the now empty urn.

Once there, he reached out and petted the two draes who had stuck beside him the entire time. He then turned to their Draeyers. He hesitated for a moment before he firmed his resolve. "I want to help catch the bastard," he said, looking Gael Fenrin in the eye. I want him dead. "I'm the only one who saw his face."

"And how do you propose you help?"

"What do you need me to do?"

Gael Fenrin fell into silence, before turning to look at Kreis Hildegen. The Ryder Commander shrugged, and gestured to Gael, seemingly letting him decide what to do with him. Gael Fenrin sighed and spoke.

"You can help by becoming a witness and staying safe."

Alec gritted his teeth. But relaxed when heard the following words.

"This case is top secret and very few people are involved to keep it that way. We are short on hands as a result. When we find that bastard, we could use an extra pair of skilled hands."

Kreis Hildegen's eyes widened, and he tried to open his mouth. Gael silenced him with a raised hand. "You left the decision to me, and that's what I've decided."

Kreis Hildegen struggled for a moment, before letting out a resigned sigh. "Fine. But we are going to discuss this later."

"Gael Fenrin. You can just call me Gael. Welcome to the team," Gael said to Alec, a small smile on his lips.

Alec nodded. He did not want to say anything more, but the manners Alen had drilled into him made itself known. "I'm Alec Arden. Thank you for having me."

"You're going to have to come along with us for this," Kreis Hildegen said. "Are you sure it's all right for you to leave? What about your friend—"

Gael reached out and covered Kreis' mouth. Alec still heard and answered anyway.

"I have no one here. Not anymore."

Gael shot Kreis a glare, and the latter seemed to wilt just a bit from the intensity of it. Gael turned to him and shot him an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry about him. He has a few...defects in his head from the times I planted his face on the ground during our school days."

Kreis let out an indignant shout, but it sounded like a squawk because of Gael's hand covering his mouth. For a fleeting moment, Alec felt like he was going to regret his decision to join these two weirdos.

Still.

The hunt was on. Only this time, he won't show his prey any mercy.

-------

Finally done with the emotional stuff. I still can't believe I wrote this part. It was the hardest to write so far.