Chapter 20-The Twins

Alec leaned against Asher's side with his eyes closed, his legs spread in front of him where draelings of varying sizes lay their heads. The adult draes lay close to the side, curled up and keeping a watchful eye on the other draes that were looking at them from the distance. When Alec had pleaded for them to not come near, the older draes prevented draes from other parts of the Sanctuary from coming over.

Lunch had filled his stomach full, and with the warmth of the sun and the draes sleeping around him, he felt drowsy. He would have actually fallen asleep if he had not felt like an animal in a zoo. A few feet in front of him, under the shade of a larger tree, the caretakers took turns looking at them.

The leader of the caretakers, who had introduced himself as Professor Linan, had let them be after asking for his identity, and if he did anything that made the draes act the way they did. The tall muscular man's chocolate eyes had stared at him so intensely through the glasses he wore when he answered. Then he turned and told the others that he would be going somewhere. Ever since then, the draes had pulled Alec under a tree where they proceeded to have an afternoon nap.

It was a very nice welcome. But his legs were going numb because of the baby draes.

He felt two sets of footsteps approach, but he refused to open her eyes.

"Uby, come here," a young male voice said.

"Dia, little one, you as well," a female voice called.

He opened his eyes when he felt two draelings leaving his legs. It caused the other draelings to roll over and continue sleeping on the grass, freeing his limbs. When he looked to the side, he found the same two people who had called out his name from earlier. Two pairs of gray eyes looked towards him. One pair was apologetic, while the other pair was shining with curiosity.

"Sorry about them, Alec. If they become a bother, you can just tell them to leave you alone," the young man said. A red draeling that was as tall as his knee stood next to his feet.

"Did draes always like you this much?" asked the young woman who picked up a small snowy-white draeling. The young man immediately hit her arm, mouthing at her to shut up. The girl hit him back, mouthing something back.

Alec raised a brow. Brother and sister?

"I don't mind. I just didn't want to be...the first to let go," he said. He stood, careful not to wake the draes. He carefully walked around them, finally leaving the huddle of draes. "This is the first time I've been dragged into a pile of draes, though. But the three draes I have were friendly enough."

The brother and sister met eyes. Some form of silent communication happened between them, causing Alec to be curious. The boy spoke first when they turned back to him.

"Where are our manners? We haven't introduced ourselves."

"We have Ga—Professor Gael to blame for that. He forgot to introduce us this morning at the lake," said the girl.

Alec's curiosity grew. Did the two know Gael? It did not seem like a simple teacher-student relationship, considering that they seemed to be used to addressing Gael casually. While he was busy wondering, the boy moved towards him and reached out first, followed by his sister.

"I'm Knox Munstone. Nice to meet you."

"Solana Munstone. Are you our new fam—"

The girl did not get to finish her sentence because her brother elbowed her again. The two began to glare at each other, communicating with their eyes once more. Alec wondered how they were related to the headmaster, but figured it was none of his business.