Chapter 26

Rapunzel

When I tossed my body backwards, I could feel something folded up in my pocket. I didn't care to take it out at first, but it became all I could think about.

So I reached my hand down, and removed it.

It was a small, purple fabric flag, like the ones I'd seen all over the island. It was what I decided to get at that market with the change... With the change I was given.
I saw it and thought it was the best thing to remember the moment by...

... But of course, the memories are all sickeningly sour now.

The flag is a darker, violet like colour with a yellowish gold sun in the centre of it. It's basic, but I like it, and I feel like the colours kinda match... Me...

I'm probably thinking to much into that, purple and yellow is a nice combination. Me and whoever designed this flag probably just happened to have the same idea.

I crumble up the fabric in my hand and drop them on top of my chest, taking in a deep breath and studying all my paintings that scattered my originally blank ceilings.
The paint strokes are carefully positioned all over the plaster, creating all of my little doodles I've been slowly perfecting. And their all just that, small, mediocre doodles that I've painted to waste time.

They don't mean anything.

They don't do anything, nor do they help in anyway. They are just paintings, they make me feel proud, small amounts of joy while I'm painting, and the minute I can say it's complete, but then it gets forgotten, lost in the crowds of the other doodles around it.
The way I'm studying them now, the attention I'm giving ever single line, has got to be the most I've given them ever.

When the seconds start straining to feel like minutes, and minutes start to feel like hours, I close my eyes and fall asleep flat on my back.

I wake up a while later, but I don't move. My eyes open, they look around, scanning everything I can see from my position, but no limb or muscle moves an inch.

That is... Until my room starts to glow.

When I finally sit up, my head feels light, I feel fuzzy and unreal, kind of like I'm not actually here, that my souls off playing somewhere else.
Then I look up, look up at my ceiling that has now started to gain more and more golden lights. Their scattered throughout my drawings, the shape of them fitting perfectly in the gaps.

They continue to multiply until it looks like every inch of the celling and walls are covered in a sharp, golden light. I raise myself from my bed, standing in the middle of the room, making sure my eye is on the lights at all times.

I think I was worried if I blinked and took my attention off of them even for a second, that they'd all dissappear.

I try and get a better look at the shape of the lights, narrowing my eyes so they become clearer, and it just about works.
Their little sun's, sun's just like...

...Wait a minute...

I open up my hand and reveal the purple flag I was still holding, then I hold it up to the ceiling, opening it up and noticing they match perfectly...

My eyes widen as I stare ahead in disbelief, in shock, in confusion. I can't help but stumble backwards, the lights finally becoming too overwhelming. I drop my flag and fall back against my wall, my body shaking and my vision blurry.