Chapter 36 (Final)

Cassandra

I walk Rapunzel to my old bedroom, making an effort to ignore all the chaos overflowing into every inch of the castle, because I want to be the one to show her it.

I want to be the one who gives it to her.

A welcome home present? I guess.

"It's just through here." I say, pointing down an extended corridor, one with only one door sitting at the very end. She peers her head around the corner, then follows me.
"What's in here?" She asks, curiousity creating little sparks in her eyes. I don't respond, just rest my hand on the handles and take a breath before opening the doors wide.

"It's yours."

And with that, the light from the grand window hits and acts as the light source for the entire room. I make my way to the side as she stands, in awe, in the Centre of the doorway.

Clearly shocked.

"This... This is...?"
"It's all yours Raps, the whole room."

The whole kingdoms yours.

But I don't add that.

Her eyes gracefully jump around different spots of the room, until she can't contain her excitement and decides to physically jump around.

I just watch.

"This is amazing! It's huge! I love it! And- oh my gosh the size of this bookshelf!" the smaller additions to the room excite her just as much as the bigger things. She falls in love with the softness of the carpet just as much as she falls in love with the size and design of her queen sized bed.

Yep. She's where she belongs.

This was always hers...

"I can't believe this!" once she's calmed down a little, she walks over to meet me. "Are you sure?"
She asks this as if she knew it was mine before. Even though I never told.
"It's called the 'princess suite', who else would It go to?" I say, a tone a little lighter. I see her expression shift momentarily, but I couldn't catch what to.

"Thank you..." she voices, her everything going into such a short, common phrase.
"It's nothing, just think of it as a 'welcome home' present-"
"Not just for the room, Cass. As grateful for this as I am, it's not what I'm talking about..."

I knew that, but something inside me wanted her to explain.

"Thank you for... Everything. These last few days... Especially..."

The night you almost died.

"I don't know how to properly express how grateful for you I truly am." I can't help but give into the smile playing with my lips.
"I'm thankful for you to, really, I mean, I wouldn't be stood here right now if it wasn't for you."

Because I would've died.

Her expression brightens, but the shine isn't blinding, it's just... It's just there.
She's just there. Just here.

"What can I do to repay you?"

The question sounded off, like I should've been the one to say it, not the other way around, but I know she'd just deny it if that was my response.

So I think.

Is there anything?

"There's one thing..." I start, carefully choosing my words. "I want you to promise me something."
"Anything."
"Promise me you won't change, that you won't fall for their tricks and start acting like they do. Don't loose yourself in their idea of 'Royalty'."

Does she fit this kingdoms idea of perfect to a tea? Yes. She does. But is she also so much more than that? Absolutely.

I couldn't live with myself if she looses herself, if she changes to fit what they want.

"I promise."

And with that, I pull her into a tight hug, holding her close.

I trust her. I believe her.

We're safe. we're together and we're all we need.
Or at least, she's all I need.

But all that aside, I think we're finally ok. We're finally where we belong and everything...

Dare I say it?

Perfect.

Everything is-

"Agh, fuck!" I suddenly feel a sharp pain in the Centre of my head, a throbbing sensation that hurts more with every pulse.
"Cass? Is everything ok? Cass!" I can't bring myself to respond, I grasp my head in my hands and back away from Rapunzel, inevitably hitting a wall behind me.

What in the fucking world is-

Just when I think it's starting to die down, a blue light flashes, scaring my eyes in a different kind of way to what I'm used to.

Because the light wasn't physical, it wasn't really there. It was a form of hallucination.

I would know.

It flashed again, and again, and I could hear something like... Scream? And the sound of... I don't even know but it-

-it wasn't good.

Rapunzels worried voices weaves in and out of the mess in my mind, and it's what I try and focus on, but it's like trying to grab a tree branch in violent waters.

Almost impossible.

I couldn't even figure out how to ignore the blue flashes, let alone pick out certain noises, because even when I closed my eyes, the blue was still there...

Thankfully, I was able to latch onto the branch, I was able to reach for Rapunzel, I was able to hear her, to hold onto her.

And once my hands were in hers, while she tried lifting me back up onto my feet, the noises slowed and the blue dimmed.

And everything was then silent... Like the noise had struck me deaf.

"What the hell was that." I mumble to myself, staring down at the floor with a hand on the back of my head. Rapunzel didn't hear me.
"Cass? Oh my gosh are you ok?" She puts out her hands to give me a hug, but I perform a gesture which suggests I don't want her to, that I'm fine.
"Shit I-"

What do I say?

"I'm fine. I've just had a pretty bad headache today, it was just that. It'll be alright." I dismiss simply, not wanting to much attention drawn to me.

It was nothing, just a weird daydream. Nothing to be worrying about.

"Ok, if you say so. I believe you."

You shouldn't.

"Now, need help reorganising anything? Or finding anything?" I ask in an attempt to shift the topic, which was pretty easy to accomplish. She starts jumping around the room, clearly with a imagine of her dream room engraved inside her mind, and I calmly follow her around, offering my assistance.

And that's how we spent the rest of the day, searching the castle for things she'll need to make the room feel more homelike, all the while I pointed out where everything else is that is an immediate must know.

And by the evening, we had a fairly decent outcome.

She's safe, I'm finally feeling more at home. She's finally out in the world and I've been offered another chance to make the guard.

Things seem to be looking up, they seem to look promising, like we've reached the end of the mess and chaos.

It's only just beginning.

So why I my gut telling me otherwise...?