Chapter 2

The last stretch of the M5 whizzed by in a blur of green fields and grey drizzle. William drummed his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel, the idyllic image of a sun-drenched Cornwall rapidly fading. He slammed the car door shut with a groan, the Cornish air heavy with the scent of salt and wildflowers. He stretched, a symphony of pops echoing from his spine.

"Blimey, Danny," William called out, his voice tinged with mock despair, "Did Cornwall decide to relocate further out to sea since last summer?"

A booming laugh greeted him as Danny rounded the corner of the quaint stone cottage. His usual mop of dark hair was windblown, and a mischievous glint sparkled in his green eyes. "Welcome to paradise, Hayes! Took you long enough."

William, never one to miss a beat, countered with a playful smirk. "Blame your, ahem, 'sister.' Poor thing was all alone by the roadside, weeping into her handbag, said she was lonely."

Danny's brow furrowed in confusion. "Sister? Since when do I have a sister?"

"Well, she did keep insisting she was your mum," William continued, his voice thick with mock seriousness. "Thought perhaps it was an elaborate inside joke I wasn't privy to. No worries though, I attended to her needs, she won't be lonely for a good while now."

The absurdity of the situation, coupled with William's deadpan delivery, sent a snort of laughter escaping Danny's lips. "Honestly, Will, you're a menace," he chuckled, shaking his head.

Then, with a grin, Danny opened his arms wide.

"Alright, enough teasing. Come here, you old git."

William, with a matching grin, stepped forward and they embraced in a bear hug.

Pulling back slightly, William clapped Danny on the shoulder.

"Alright, alright, enough mush. Lead the way. Just promise there are no more lonely mothers to be found along the way. Yours took the life right out of me."

Danny's eyes crinkled at the corners as he threw his head back and laughed. "No promises, Hayes. No promises." With that, they turned and headed towards the cottage.

A warm glow emanated from the kitchen window, beckoning William like a lighthouse on a stormy night. Stepping inside, he was greeted by a sight that sent a jolt through him – Julia. Unlike her usual impeccably put-together image, she was a vision of endearing disarray. Tendrils of auburn hair, usually tamed in a sophisticated braid, now escaped in playful wisps around her face. Leaning intently over the kitchen table, she was completely engrossed in a jigsaw puzzle.

William couldn't help but watch, mesmerized by her focused expression. The way her brow furrowed, the tip of her tongue peeking out in concentration – it was a side of Julia he didn't get to see often. He was lost in his silent observation until a deep chuckle broke the spell.

"Oi, love, look who's finally graced us with his presence," Danny announced, sauntering into the kitchen with a mischievous grin. He leaned in and stole a quick kiss from Julia, effectively shattering her concentration.

Her eyes, usually sparkling with wit, held a hint of exasperation as they met his. "Finally, William, thank God you're here!" she exclaimed, her voice laced with a playful jab. "Just in time to help me decipher this unnecessarily complicated puzzle. Danny's been useless I'm afraid."

A mischievous glint sparked in her eyes as she gestured towards the table. The "puzzle" in question resembled a toddler's art project gone rogue – a chaotic symphony of mismatched shapes and nonsensical colors that wouldn't look out of place in a modern art gallery.