Chapter 9

Julia fumbled with her key, the distinct wobble in her walk a clear sign the evening's wine had worn off – replaced by a dull throb behind her eyes. With a triumphant flourish, she managed to unlock the door and waddle through, muttering to herself about the conspiracy of doorknobs and inebriated people.

The sight that greeted her wasn't exactly calming. Danny stood ramrod straight in the hallway, arms crossed and a look that could most likely scare a small child.

"You scared the living shit out of me!" she exclaimed, a touch of indignation battling with the remnants of a giggle.

"Sorry," Danny replied, his voice as stiff as his posture. "Where have you been, it's late?"

Julia, ever the master of deflection, batted her eyelashes and adopted her most innocent tone. "Why, popping in at William's for a cuppa, of course! Dreadfully dull business, I can assure you."

Danny raised an eyebrow, unconvinced. "Right. And the Earl Grey left you with that rosy glow, did it?"

Julia, ever the quick thinker, plastered a saccharine smile on her face. "Ah, the Earl Grey," she chirped, her voice a touch too high-pitched. "Good cup of tea, it was. Though, I must admit, the rosy glow might have predated my visit to William's altogether."

Danny's unconvinced expression remained firmly in place. "Right," he drawled, scepticism dripping from his voice. "And this pre-emptive rosy glow, courtesy of my private cellar, I presume?"

Julia, never one to back down from a witty sparring session, met his gaze head-on. "Precisely," she declared, a hint of defiance lacing her voice. "One can't be expected to face a cup of tea utterly bereft of cheer, can one?"

He let out a frustrated sigh. "Is that the best explanation you can muster, Julia? You sat here, in my flat, knocking back my finest vintage until you were on the verge of pickled, then waltzed off to see William?" Anger simmered beneath the surface of his words. "Do you have any idea how this appears, love?"

"Honestly, Danny," she countered, a touch of exasperation creeping into her voice, "it appears I had a spot of wine and went to see a friend. Nothing more, nothing less. It's hardly a cause for an international incident." She deposited her handbag with a theatrical thud and made a beeline for the kitchen, glass of water in hand.

"International incident?" he scoffed, following her. "Perhaps not, but it doesn't look good now does it?"

Julia took a long, theatrical sip of water, hoping to buy herself some time. "Look, Danny," she began, her voice softening, "I don't want to fight. The day's been a bit of a nightmare, truly. How about we call a truce? Tell me about this grand hunting trip of yours, eh?" She flashed him a hopeful smile, the playful glint back in her eyes. Whether it would be enough to deflect his anger remained to be seen.

He sank onto the sofa. His mind replayed his conversation with James. He'd poured his heart out – the growing distance between him and Julia, the nagging feeling that their once vibrant relationship was slowly fading. James, ever the pragmatist, had listened with an impassive air.

"Marriage, Danny," James had finally declared, puffing on his cigar, "is an investment. Sometimes, you need to put in a bit of extra capital to keep the dividends flowing." That was it. That was his father's profound advice. Throw money at the problem and hope it goes away.

"Right then," he began, the forced lightness in his voice a dead giveaway. "Trip was fine, wasn't it? Now, come sit here, would you?"

Julia joined him reluctantly, her heart a lead weight in her chest. The air crackled with the remnants of their argument.

"Been doing a bit of thinking, haven't I?" Danny continued, his gaze flickering nervously away. "About us, and all that. We do love each other, don't we? Bit of a rocky patch, sure, but we can weather it together, right?" He fumbled in his pocket, a small velvet box glinting in the dim light.

Julia's breath hitched. This wasn't the conversation she'd envisioned. What was Danny thinking?

"Danny..." she stammered, her voice tight. "Is that...?"

He popped open the box, revealing a delicate diamond ring that sparkled like a fallen star. "Thought it might be a good time, you see. Make things official. So, what do you say, Julia Elizabeth Jones? Fancy becoming Mrs. Clarke?"

The ring was heartbreakingly beautiful, a symbol of commitment dangling on the precipice of their fractured relationship. Every instinct in Julia screamed no.

"Danny," she said, her voice gathering strength. "No."

He blinked, momentarily stunned. "No? But... the ring, I thought..."

"Five minutes ago, you were accusing me of cavorting with bloody William!" Julia's voice rose with each word. "We haven't exactly been whispering sweet nothings, have we?"

Danny's face flushed. "True, my timing might be a bit off, but surely we can sort this. Like a team, remember?"

A bitter laugh escaped Julia's lips. "Team? Danny, this isn't a team-building exercise. I can't marry you, not now, not like this. I'm not happy and pretending everything's alright with a ring won't magically fix it."

"What are you on about?" Danny's voice hardened, a stark contrast to his earlier nervousness. "I've given you everything, haven't I? This flat, the fancy trips, what more do you want?"

The entitlement in his voice made Julia see red. "The fact that you can't comprehend what I need, Danny, is the crux of the bloody problem! I need space. Time to figure out who I am, what I want from life, and if that includes you!"

"So it's about William, then?" he spat, his anger finally boiling over. "You slept with him, didn't you?"

"Oh, God sake, Danny!" Julia cried, tears blurring her vision. "No, there was nothing like that! We just talked."

"Then why won't you marry me? What's really the problem?"

"Because you don't listen, Danny! You never do! It's always about what you want, what you need. This entire relationship has been a one-way street!" Tears streamed down her cheeks now, unchecked and raw. "I told you I was feeling lost and you never so much as brought it up again, or asked me how I was doing. I tell you just now I need space and you accuse me of being unfaithful because that can be the only valid reason for me saying no!"

Danny recoiled, his anger momentarily eclipsed by confusion. But it was fleeting. "This is ridiculous," he scoffed. "You're throwing everything away over a misunderstanding."

"It's not a misunderstanding, Danny," Julia said, her voice cracking. "It's a culmination. And I can't keep doing this."

The fight drained out of Danny, replaced by a cold fury. "Fine then," he said, his voice laced with venom. "If that's how you want it. Have your precious time, then. Don't come crawling back when you finally realise what you've lost."

Julia stood, wiping her tears with a shaky hand. The flat, once a symbol of their shared future, now felt suffocating. "There's nothing to crawl back to, Danny, I asked you for time to figure things out and it appears you can't give me that," she said, her voice unexpectedly firm. "This is over then."

With that, she turned and walked out, leaving a stunned and furious Danny in her wake. The rain outside mirrored the storm raging inside her, but for the first time in a long time, there was a glimmer of hope. This was her rock bottom, and from here, there was only one way to go – up.