CHAPTER 6

The surprise party hummed with revelry. Danny, ever the enthusiastic networker, was currently regaling a hapless fellow named Rodger (who bore a striking resemblance to a disgruntled parrot) with the finer points of some mind-numbingly complex business theory. Rodger appeared to be hanging on every word, perhaps hoping for a well-timed internship courtesy of Danny's influential father. This wasn't uncommon; people often gravitated towards the duo, seeking a connection.

William, however, found himself adrift in a sea of merriment. A lone island amidst the boisterous waves of celebration. Anyone observing him might mistake his quiet contemplation for a sulk. He lit a cigarette, the flame momentarily illuminating the six empty pint glasses that stood sentinel before him. But beneath the veil of nonchalance, a different story unfolded.

Julia, ever perceptive, picked up on the shift in the atmosphere. William, usually radiating his trademark twinkle, wore a contemplative frown instead. Sliding into the seat opposite him, she tilted her head with concern. "What's the matter, birthday boy?" she inquired, her voice laced with concern but peppered with a playful edge.

William offered a wry smile. "Existential crisis, I suppose," he muttered. "Feels like another year older just means another year closer to..." he trailed off, gesturing vaguely towards the ceiling.

Julia laughed, a sound like wind chimes on a breezy afternoon. "Oh, darling," she countered, "ageing is simply a sign of a life well-lived! Each wrinkle tells a story, each year a chapter in your remarkable, albeit slightly chaotic, narrative. It's something to look forward to."

Now, Julia adored William. He was her friend, a constant source of amusement and the occasional emotional anchor (though frankly, that role usually fell the other way around). However, her desire to see him "improve" sometimes overrode her social tact.

"Well, growth isn't always fireworks and fanfare, you know," she began, a touch of (unintentional) condescension creeping into her tone. "Sometimes it's about the little things. Like, have you considered... well, getting a proper job?" Her voice took on a conspiratorial whisper, "how long are you going to stay at that horrible accounting firm that you hate? Perhaps less... frequent visits to the bottom of a pint glass?"

William flinched slightly at the bluntness of her advice. While he appreciated her concern, it felt a tad...judgmental. Maybe even a bit patronising. He knew he wasn't exactly a model of adulting, but did she have to rub it in. He wasn't doing that badly? Was he?

She rattled off a list of suggestions – finding a "nice girl," settling down, the whole domestic bliss she secretly knew wasn't quite William's style and blah blah blah. However, in her enthusiasm, she failed to see the sting in her words. The playful banter had morphed into a subtle critique, leaving William feeling a tad deflated.

The cigarette smoke curled around William's face, mirroring the anger coiling in his gut. He was furious. Julia's well-meaning advice had landed with the grace of a drunken hippopotamus.

"Where exactly do you get off dispensing life lessons like a seasoned fucking therapist?"

Julia blinked, the cheer momentarily wiped from her face. "Just trying to help, Will," she stammered, a touch defensive.

"Help?" William scoffed, a harsh sound that scraped against the pub's jovial atmosphere. "Sounds more like veiled judgement to me. You think you've got me all figured out, don't you? Like I'm some malfunctioning machine in need of your expert tinkering."

He leaned forward, his voice dropping to a low growl. "Well, let me enlighten you, Jules. You, of all people, shouldn't be throwing stones in this glass house.

"Sitting there with your fancy, unused art degree," he continued, his voice gaining momentum, "sipping Chardonnay at nine in the fucking morning, in an apartment you don't even pay rent for" (a pointed jab at her living situation with Danny). "Spouting off about 'proper jobs' while you flit about from one art exhibition opening to the next."

He paused, letting his words sink in. "You certainly found yourself a 'nice lad' in Danny," he added, his tone laced with a touch of bitterness, "yet here you are, dispensing life advice while you're all the while clearly deeply unhappy with yours. Unfulfilled, and bored shitless. You're a fucking hypocrite."

The last ember of his cigarette flickered and died, mirroring the warmth that had evaporated from their conversation. The air crackled with unspoken truths and a vulnerability neither of them had expected.

Julia's retort, laced with sarcasm, hit its mark. "Wow, William," she said, her voice tight, "tell me how you really feel." Tears welled in her eyes, threatening to spill over.

William's anger faltered. He hadn't meant to hurt her, but the words had tumbled out, fueled by a potent mix of frustration and a truth he couldn't quite articulate. Part of him was undeniably right. Julia, could be a bit...unmoored. He loathed the way she sometimes flitted from one passion to the next, never quite settling. The unearned Chardonnay breakfasts grated on him too, a symbol of a life lacking focus.

Yet, guilt gnawed at him. He hadn't needed to be so brutal. The truth was, Julia's perceived shortcomings mirrored his own secret turmoil. He envied her ability to express herself freely, even if it meant the occasional flamboyant misstep.

Resentment, a familiar serpent, coiled in his gut. Everyone seemed to have sage advice for him – find a girl, don't slouch, be nice. Easy for them to say, blind to the burden he carried – the silent, unrequited love for his best friend's girl. Confessing his true feelings was an unthinkable betrayal, a path paved with scorn and broken friendships. "He's your best mate," they'd sneer, "how could you?"

William longed for the freedom Julia possessed, the freedom to love whomever he chose, the freedom to be his true self. But instead, his anger had curdled into a bitter cocktail of self-pity. Perhaps Julia would hate him now. Maybe she'd walk away, leaving him adrift in a sea of unspoken emotions. The thought, though painful, held a perverse allure. Maybe, just maybe, a clean break was what they both needed.

Julia pushed herself away from the table, her chin held high but a tremor in her voice as she spoke. "Enjoy the rest of the party, Will," she said, the words clipped and formal. Then, with the air of a wounded duchess, she marched straight towards Danny.

William watched her go, bracing himself for the inevitable confrontation. He envisioned Julia, eyes blazing, recounting his cruel diatribe, and a furious Danny ready to unleash a torrent of righteous anger.

Instead, Julia surprised them both. She stopped in front of Danny, her foot tapping impatiently like Dorothy demanding a return to Kansas. "Home, please," she declared, her voice thick with hurt but laced with a newfound determination.

Danny's brow furrowed in concern. "What happened, love? Is everything alright?"

She shook her head, unable to meet his gaze. "Nothing, just... I want to leave." Her voice, a mere whisper now, held a tinge of shame, perhaps even a flicker of self-pity.

No one, not in recent memory anyway, had ever spoken to her with such brutal honesty. The truth of William's words, harsh as they were, echoed in the sudden silence. Had she been coasting, content with a comfortable existence? Danny had never complained, but perhaps in his world, a woman's lack of ambition was simply normal. After all, his own mother spent her days hosting elaborate tea parties and criticising the ever-revolving door of maids. Julia loathed such women, these "trophy wives" with their manicured nails and hollow lives. Was she, unknowingly, morphing into one of them?

A horrifying vision flashed before her eyes: a future where she, too, bossed maids around a house funded by Danny, her days filled with shopping sprees fueled by a meagre "allowance." What about their relationship? Was it just a comfortable convenience, devoid of genuine growth?

Suddenly, she questioned everything. Who was she, truly? The girl who had always urged Danny to chase his dreams, who had assured him that even the roughest storms eventually passed? Where was that fire, that unwavering belief in seizing life with both hands?

Why wasn't he the one pushing her to do the same?