Chapter 13

"Seb!" Danny boomed, oblivious to the silent pleas emanating from Julia.  A strained nod and a muttered "William" followed, a clear indication that their last encounter hadn't exactly fostered feelings of warm brotherhood.

Unfazed by the frosty air, Will, his eyes still locked on Julia, threw out a casual, "And Julia, Danny, don't be rude, Julia is here too!" The forced cheer in his voice did little to mask the underlying tension. Julia shot Will with an icy glare.

Danny, finally registering Julia's presence, paled. His jaw clenched, and a flicker of something that might have been hurt played across his features.

Seizing the opportunity to deflect the attention, Will continued, his voice a touch too bright. "Wouldn't you know it, Seb has just invited us all for coffee! Danny, are you coming?"  The more the merrier, he thought, the less chance of any more 'funny business' between Julia and Sebastian. He could put his dislike of Danny aside for a bit.

Julia wanted the earth to swallow her whole. This entire situation was a comedic tragedy of epic proportions, and she was the unwilling star. Fainting? Maybe. Fabricating a heart attack? A tad dramatic, but tempting option. Running into traffic? Definitely not the answer, but the desperate part of her brain was throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck.

Sebastian, blissfully unaware of the emotional maelstrom swirling around him, turned to Julia. "Actually," he scratched the back of his head, "completely forgot I had a meeting in a bit. Do you mind if I call you later?"

Relief flooded Julia's system so potently she nearly wept. A warm smile, genuine this time, lit up her face. "Later is perfect," she confirmed, her voice a touch too eager.

"Brilliant!" Sebastian beamed. He reached for her hand, his touch sending a jolt (not entirely unpleasant) through her. Leaning in, he said, "See you around then, love."

Will watched, every muscle in his body tensed. As their lips met, a primal urge to launch himself and deck Sebastian surged through him. He squeezed his fists tightly, his knuckles whitening.

"See ya, lads," Sebastian said with a cheerful wave, oblivious to the silent war raging around him.

"Hope to never see you again," Will thought darkly, forcing a smile as he replied, "Yeah, see you around, mate."

With a final flourish, Sebastian disappeared around the corner, leaving behind a tangle of unspoken emotions and a whole lot of awkward tension. The weight of Will's stare was almost tangible, and Julia couldn't help but squirm under his gaze.

Will's voice, laced with a hint of something that could only be described as possessiveness, finally broke the silence. "Naughty, naughty, Julia," he drawled, his gaze lingering on her a beat too long.

Julia bristled. Was he seriously implying...? "Pardon me?" she retorted, her voice laced with mock innocence. "I have absolutely no idea what you're on about, Will." Play dumb, that was the plan.

Just then, Danny chimed in, "Is that right?" he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Because that, love, is what we call a walk of shame in these parts."

Will, momentarily forgetting his own jealousy, shot Danny a withering look. He'd almost forgotten Danny was still lurking around, adding to the awkwardness of the situation.

Julia, on the verge of spontaneous combustion, decided it was time for a strategic retreat. "Well, gentlemen," she announced, her voice strained but resolute, "if you'll excuse me, I have a pressing engagement." With that, she darted back into the building like a startled rabbit, leaving a trail of bewildered silence in her wake.

Will watched her go, a frown creasing his forehead. The image of Julia with Sebastian lingered in his mind, a thorn in his side. He turned to Danny, a newfound sense of camaraderie sparking between them in their shared misery.

"What a complete wanker," he muttered, the words laced with a bitterness that surprised even himself.

Danny chuckled, a humourless sound. "Wanker!"

For a brief moment, their rivalry faded into the background, replaced by a shared sense of frustration and a grudging respect for each other's misfortune. It was an unlikely alliance, forged in the fires of awkwardness and jealousy.

“I’ve been meaning to call you” Danny said, looking to the ground. “I’ve missed my mate.”

Will remained silent, he knew apologies were a hard thing for Danny, and something he never did. Danny was making an effort.

“Can we just move on?” Danny asked.

Well, that wasn’t an apology at all Will thought, but it was the closest he was going to get, he knew Danny’s heart was in the right place. “There’s a friendly football match in the park this Saturday, you keen?”  Will asked, placing a hand on Danny’s shoulder.

"Absolutely!" he beamed, the competitive glint returning to his eyes. "Just a heads-up, though, I'm still going to wipe the floor with you."

Will chuckled. "We'll see about that, mate.”

A hesitant smile played on Danny's lips. "And Will," he started, then stopped, taking a deep breath. "I am sorry. About all of it."
This time, the words weren't forced, but laced with a genuine remorse that surprised even Danny himself.

Will met his gaze, a silent understanding passing between them. "I know, Danny," he said simply.

A dull ache throbbed in Will's gut. Watching Julia with Sebastian, the way she blushed at his touch, ignited pure jealousy. Years of silent pining wouldn't be tossed aside for a hungover one-night stand with a winning smile. Not this time.

Sebastian, with his devilish grin and effortless charm, had wormed his way into the picture in a single night. How could Will compete with a stolen kiss and the thrill of the unknown?

A steely glint replaced the usual warmth in Will's eyes. He wouldn't let Sebastian waltz in and steal Julia. He'd show her what they could have. This time, the gloves were off. He wouldn't just be her friend, he'd charm the socks off her. Playful banter, unexpected flirtation – he wouldn't shy away from a little healthy competition. He didn't mind playing dirty this time. It was Julia's heart on the line, and he was determined to win.

The fight for Julia had begun, and he was ready to play for keeps.