Chapter 4 - The bloody Trace

Zane gritted his teeth

Zane gritted his teeth. He hurried past the brawl as quickly as possible, hoping the hoodlums had not seen him.

He had initially chosen this route because there was less hustle and bustle here and less chance of running into the fae of the Summer Court.

The Vaesen's demands on their new home were as varied as their origins. Some lived underground, others in the vast seas, lakes, and rivers. In contrast, others, like the fae, had usually settled more stylishly in castles, noble residences, and enormous buildings.

But the big problem with the Fae, Sidhe, Sith, or most of the peoples of the worlds beneath the hills was their nature: They were pure chaos. What they liked today, they didn't like tomorrow. What fascinated them or caught their attention was not bound to the strange perception of humans, and their morale flipped like a rabbit on the run, depending on their mood.

No wonder the fragile alliance between otherworlders and nightwalkers broke down. Since the war was won, the Vaesen had largely eliminated their common enemies; tensions had risen again. After conquering the world, everyone wanted a piece of the pie. It was just a shame when some wanted the same: dragons and dwarves, for example, craved the shimmering gold and gemstones in equal measure - and so a new, seething feud was born out of greed.

He had not believed Kaie when he had told him about the quarrels and complicated entanglements. But now that he could observe life on the surface for himself and with his own eyes, he felt the tension like sparks crackling in the air.

Zane sighed softly. It had been long since he had been on the surface—many moons, if not more.

An old brick wall full of posters and flyers caught his attention as he hurried past it. Some were already softened by the weather, others faded or torn off. But one of many caught his eye. As if in a mirror, his own face gazed back at him with a grim expression. The distinctive white hair fell around the striking features with the piercing almond eyes that gave his face something exotic and animalistic compared to the humans. Among the other beasts and wanted men, he blended in far too well with the criminals and other "traitors."

With a growl, his strong fingers tore the leaflet from the wall and stuffed it into the pockets of his long coat. The paper rustled between his fingers as he clenched his fist around it so tightly that it crumpled utterly. The damn thing didn't look like it had been hanging there for years ... So Oberon or his commander hadn't given up trying to make his life hell yet.