Chapter 15 - Like Sun & Moon

Casimir stared at her for a few seconds as if he expected her to have spontaneously found her sense of humor

But instead, her snow-white eyes gazed at him coolly like a winter morning.

"What are you waiting for?"

Casimir pursed his lips and snorted, then growled a 'As you wish, mistress,' and turned away to disappear into the crowd of onlookers.

As soon as humans appeared on the stage, the number of curious onlookers increased rapidly. Within minutes, the room filled with all those who wanted to catch a glimpse of the human children without necessarily offering anything themselves. It was...

"Perfect," Myreille muttered, directing her own steps away from the auction that was supposed to occupy everyone's attention for a while.

Instead, her eyes scrutinized the other fences gathered around the auction. Here, today, the satyr would have offered his wares for sale if an assassin had not taken his life. But nowhere else would the assassin get rid of the blade so quickly and profitably. A dagger like the one she was looking for was bound to attract attention.

Myreille's gaze wandered around, grazing the heads of a few small thieves selling pocket watches or other knick-knacks. Fairy dust or small handguns were no doubt also in fashion. Weapons, drugs and physical services were always good bargains among both mortals and vaesen.

Eventually, they were drawn to one of the side rooms. Three men stood on the stage and began advertising their wares. An Aztec death mask and the hand of a supposedly cursed mummy were for sale and quickly sold. Then, the pale vampire held up a weapon—unfortunately, not the one she was looking for.

A human pistol with ammunition... interesting, mainly because ammunition for human weapons had been limited since the decline of mankind and their value was increasing rapidly. However, the same groups usually claimed such weapons for themselves. If a firearm appeared up there...

Myreille's thoughts were abruptly interrupted as her gaze swept over those present, jerkily catching herself like a fly in a net.

Her gaze fell on one of the shadowy corners of the long hall, lined at the edges with tall pillars whose small lights cast shadows over the immediate surroundings. She couldn't say what had drawn her focus there of all places ... but when she saw the figure trying to hide there, every muscle in her body stiffened. If she'd still had a heartbeat, it would indeed have stumbled in her chest - as it was, it was her legs that were beyond her control, taking the first steps before her mind could follow them.