Chapter 27 - Fire & Ash

Zane looked directly into her face with a severe expression

Zane looked directly into her face with a severe expression. His chest rose and fell heavily, and she could hear his racing pulse in her ears. But she also listened to the growl with which he forced his words out and how much effort it had cost him.

How disgusting it must have been for him to stoop to this?

Was revenge for Kaie so important to him that he even let his mortal enemy touch his throat?

Oh, stupid little cat...

Her gaze slid from the Caith-Sith's cat eyes to his bloodied face.

Then she bent down to him. Her long, silver-white hair fell over her shoulders, stained with the blood of the humans and Caith-Sith himself, as her cold breath brushed his neck. She saw the quick pulse of life fluttering beneath his tanned skin, drawing her in like a river of honey and milk.

No one offered a vampire to drink from them and could expect them to hold back. They knew no shame, no inhibitions, no modesty, no restraint. Vampires were the embodiment of greed. They took everything they could get their hands on. She was hurt and thirsty... Once she had sunk her teeth into his throat... she would not be able to stop so easily.

And yet she fought the almost overpowering urge to leap at his throat like a wild animal and sink her teeth deep into his neck.

What was holding her back?

Myra inhaled shakily and knew it was the scent of wildflowers and cedar wood... the strange, unwanted, irritating tug in her chest where nothing should be and, above all, the thought of Kaie.

Her lips slid over the angular line of his jaw, and her tongue followed a trail of blood to the wound to his mouth.

Zane's Adam's apple bounced as he swallowed harder, and she heard him hold his breath. His fingers reached for her upper arms and gripped them so tightly that Myra became unsure if he wasn't about to fling her away.

There was only this option. His neck was not an option; she didn't have that much self-control at the moment. Just one sip should be enough... Just a little...