Chapter 7 - Hunter & Prey

The vampire slipped off the shadow of the night like a cloak he had grown tired of

The vampire slipped off the shadow of the night like a cloak he had grown tired of. The silver-white moonlight scanned over glacier-blue skin as if someone had decided to breathe life into a creature made of ice. Beneath the pale, almost translucent skin, bluish veins stood out like narrow rivers of sapphire, and instead of the usual white, blood-red gems stared out at the Caith-Sith from a bed of inky black eyeballs full of undisguised murderous lust.

Another figure, however, remained hidden in the shadows, content for the time being with the role of undetected and silent observer.

In the many years of her existence, which Myreille had long since grown tired of counting, the Strigoi had already experienced many such situations, primarily in the years since the war and its aftermath, of course, but also occasionally before that. The cabal to which the vampires belonged had served a simple purpose since the end of the war: they did the dirty work for those who didn't want to get their own hands dirty. 

In most cases, being in the "family business" and part of the cabal meant being a bounty hunter, spy, or assassin. She did not have the dubious honor of creating and training the next generation. But the test of their skills did. Honestly, Myreille wasn't keen on being a part of the usual business either way. But sometimes you can't choose your lot...

"If it isn't the Caith-Sith we're looking for," hummed the velvety, melodic voice, capable of stealing both the mortal's mind and heart. "There's a rich reward on your head, fairy scion."

The pale man tilted his head slightly to one side, and long black hair flowed like ink around his narrow, bony features.

Something about him was reminiscent of a lurking bird of prey, keeping an eye on its prey, just waiting for the right moment to strike.

"Maybe you'd better think about why there's so much money on me - and why no one's taken it yet," the white-haired man growled into the dull darkness and straightened up.

The vampire let out a snort, making it clear that he wasn't taking his counterpart seriously in the slightest.

"I'm sure you've only come across incompetent losers so far," mused the pale bounty hunter as he circled his prey with leisurely steps.